Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Hit Markers

Got a great new idea for the game?

Re: Hit Markers

Postby BrosephRadson » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:04 am

Remember this is a voxel game specializing in balance, not a simulator focusing on realism / immersion. Theres a free version of ArmA 2 if youre looking for realism.
kmaj wrote: Pasrdonn my grmnar, butg i'm writingh whjle masking a faxcepalmm.
BrosephRadson

Postby CalenLoki » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:18 pm

Game can be immersive without being realistic, and for me AoS is such game. Not to mention that every game have some balance between gamey and realistic elements, none is pure-realism or pure-game. For some reason we don't have pink ponies running around, even though they could be balanced quite well.

I just don't need yet additional confirmation that I've hit someone - there already is blood and pain sound - make it server side if you really want to be 100% sure. And it's your choice to shoot at fog range, element of uncertainty is just another disadvantage of that choice.

Only balance change (if confirmation is done with some outlining of player) is that you can spray bullets in general direction of enemy in order to locate them (which is stupid as duck). A bit less if it's only sound or marker around your crosshair.

And I could direct you to quake 3 (with hit markers and other doublekill bulshit), but what's the point?
In pace leones, in bello cervi
CalenLoki

Postby Build » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:10 am

So I'm assuming pop-up numbers or something similar would fit here? Those numbers being in porportion to the fog and show up over bricks.

Alternate would be a sound that is quieter the father away the target. A combination of both seems probable as well.
... I was gone for a month and came back to a game that hadn't changed a bit.
Build

Postby TheBigWhiteBall » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:28 am

Build wrote:So I'm assuming pop-up numbers or something similar would fit here? Those numbers being in porportion to the fog and show up over bricks.

Alternate would be a sound that is quieter the father away the target. A combination of both seems probable as well.

i do agree with build, and many other like in tf2 u can choose to see the damadge to your opponet and also noise that goes just to you? not very fond of just a hit marker tho but baby steps i suppose
One Great Man Noticed "An army of principles can penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot."

TheBigWhiteBall

Postby Gorman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:05 am

Build wrote:So I'm assuming pop-up numbers or something similar would fit here? Those numbers being in porportion to the fog and show up over bricks.

Pop up numbers do not fit here. You can tell where you hit them because you should know where you shot. You should also know the damage that you would deal in the first place. Please, unless AoS changes dramatically, no pop up numbers.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby Build » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:29 am

@Gorman: It fits the post, we already know you hate the idea so stop spamming it to death.
... I was gone for a month and came back to a game that hadn't changed a bit.
Build

Postby Gorman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:38 am

Build wrote:@Gorman: It fits the post, we already know you hate the idea so stop spamming it to death.

If you knew I disliked it and why, then why didn't you respond to that... That's more than a little rude.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby AlexKirchu » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:47 am

Interjection.

Hit markers? Personally? No. This isn't CoD, as many people have already said.

However, for server side hit detection? YES. This would eliminate lag and hackers.

As for the blood, may I say that sometimes I shoot someone in the head, I see the blood, yet they don't die. So blood isn't that good of an indicator. Plus, sound? What sound? If I'm shooting at someone far away, I can't hear my shots hitting them or them dying.

Just watch for a red line on the killfeed, it mean's you've either killed someone or you've been killed (with the latter hopefully possible for you to be aware of).
My Mods: http://tinyurl.com/753jhup
More Teams Suggestion Thread: http://tinyurl.com/8xl89ry - Show your support, vote YES =D
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/KirchuAlex253?feature=mhee
AlexKirchu

Postby Gorman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:04 am

AlexKirchu wrote:Interjection.

Hit markers? Personally? No. This isn't CoD, as many people have already said.

However, for server side hit detection? YES. This would eliminate lag and hackers.

As for the blood, may I say that sometimes I shoot someone in the head, I see the blood, yet they don't die. So blood isn't that good of an indicator. Plus, sound? What sound? If I'm shooting at someone far away, I can't hear my shots hitting them or them dying.

Just watch for a red line on the killfeed, it mean's you've either killed someone or you've been killed (with the latter hopefully possible for you to be aware of).

Hit detection is serverside. Which is why "may I say that sometimes I shoot someone in the head, I see the blood, yet they don't die".

If there was hit detection, it would be the same situation.

Either that or you deal with hit markers lagging behind the hit somewhat (a quater of a second or more quite possibly).
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby troyboy152 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:12 am

Lol i just modded my sound so it plays someone screaming "BOOM HEADSHOT" for well.. headshots. Preety easy Kill confirmation for Semi-users. As for the other guns u should be at a range where you are able to see the enemy clear enough for kill confirmation/ hit confirmation...

+2 for client side mod (some people might find it useful tho)

and if its a .PNG file that i can edit id be happy for it to be in vanilla ^-^

[EDIT] If your a Semi-user not going for headshots... GTFO NOW!
IGN: [UWD]Comatose

Feel it rising, yea its not falling
Feel it rising, comatose, with no fear of falling
troyboy152

Postby TheGeekZeke101 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:55 pm

All you guys make perfectly reasonable points. It's all in opinions.

Anyways, I have showed this to Ben and has made a statement. He doesn't see anything wrong with this, other than the fact it isn't exactly possible at the moment. Ben did say he would jot it down and look into it.

Retired Member Missing In Action As Of 7/26/12
TheGeekZeke101

Postby Found » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:09 pm

Hit markers should be a number that pops up if you hit somebody.

EG: -throws grenade- and the number pops up like from 1-100
Found

Postby Putin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:56 pm

Good idea , for me really not something necessary but I'm neutral here like a Swiss ...
AoS The worst game with the greatest potential .
Putin

Postby ThisFrickinSite » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:41 pm

+1

I hope that me saying this is not needed, but they will have to be server sided or it won't work well.
ThisFrickinSite
{RS} Member

Postby AWhiteGuy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:26 am

...You guys DO realize that this is from last december, right?

AWhiteGuy

PreviousNext

Return to Game