Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Hit Markers

Got a great new idea for the game?

Re: Hit Markers

Postby Potassium » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:56 pm

Gorman wrote:
Potassium wrote:For those of us unfamiliar with the concept of error, it would also be ever so useful in situations where one might be shooting for exposed legs or taking blind shots at towers. Both scenarios host issues only present in-game due to limitations like fog and disappearing bodies. The inclusion of hit markers wouldn't cause AoS to be any less war-like.

I am sceptical. Are hits beyond fog possible?

You misunderstand. I was only referring to decreased visibility, especially when in front of blocks. So on the edge of the fog, rather than past it.
IGN: [USAB]showboat
Potassium
[USAB] Member

Postby Gorman » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:21 pm

I still don't fully understand. You take a shot, wait and see if it hits, and then if it does hit, you take another shot? Surely with recoil then it is hard even to make the shot from the extact spot at a distance that you can't even see the target.

I don't see the use.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby SIMOX » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:07 pm

Yeah I keep shooting till i see that I have killed him, since i see where my trace/bullet goes. And sometimes you hit the dude, but cuz of the lag he doesn't die. So with this system others then would say "I shot you in the head 3 times you didn't die HAX! BAN!" Wouldn't be a lot of use from this.
My all mods are Here. My first map is Here
Plays Ace of Spades since 2011 April 11 [0.21]
SIMOX

Postby tunaspirit » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:26 pm

A friend of mine stood aside me when I was playing on Goon Haven.
He asked: Does this game have hit markers or something?
(He doesn't play online CoD multiplayer, dont prejudice him :()
I replied: No.
He said: That sucks.
[18:33] <+boolface> hey guys imma releqase 0.76 now
[18:34] <+Ethoslab> TheGrandmaster hey do you have any idea when updates gona come
[18:34] <+gen_applejack> now
[18:34] <+gen_applejack> as boolface told us
tunaspirit

Postby Gorman » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:15 pm

SIMOX wrote:Yeah I keep shooting till i see that I have killed him, since i see where my trace/bullet goes. And sometimes you hit the dude, but cuz of the lag he doesn't die. So with this system others then would say "I shot you in the head 3 times you didn't die HAX! BAN!" Wouldn't be a lot of use from this.

You can tell if you kill someone by looking at the kill feed - kills involving you are red, so just shoot and if you see
"SIMOX killed Deuce (Headshot)"
Then you killed him.
Hit markers show up on hit, not on kill.

Seems like a bit of a strawman there. If people can't watch the killfeed what makes you think they will watch hit markers. Furthermore, if they don't trust the killfeed what makes you think they will believe the hit markers?

And in addition, you are suggesting hit markers to be server side. Otherwise they would not do anything with regard to lag and hits. This will be very confusing, if you have 100 ping and are using SMG then the hit marker will lag behind by a shot or two. If you have a ping of 500 then you will have no idea about which one of your shots landed - even with semi!

In short: server side hit markers would "solve" your "problem", but it would be way more problematic. Client side hit markers would do nothing for "OMG U HAX", but would work correctly visually (no delay after hit)
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby SIMOX » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:31 pm

tunaspirit wrote:A friend of mine stood aside me when I was playing on Goon Haven.
He asked: Does this game have hit markers or something?
(He doesn't play online CoD multiplayer, dont prejudice him :()
I replied: No.
He said: That sucks.

So probably it takes a lot of shots to kill someone in CoD? Then he may ask why HUD is so empty or why the game doesn't have other "cool" COD features.

Gorman wrote:You can tell if you kill someone by looking at the kill feed - kills involving you are red, so just shoot and if you see
"SIMOX killed Deuce (Headshot)"
Then you killed him.
Hit markers show up on hit, not on kill.

I know that. I have played a lot and you think i haven't noticed that? First sentence of my post says that red message tells me that i have killed him. And you can see the hits without hit marker if you look closely.
SIMOX

Postby Mio » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:44 am

I have two thinkings about this idea:
1 - Nope. Because, it's so lame that a SMG guy spamming and got random hitmarking, then keep hitting. That's even protecting wallhacking.
Instead make blood trace, but that's impossible. So my final idea is make a panting sound, hurting noise more longer, I mean "more bigger noise".
2 - Yes, but if you guys going to implement Hit Markers in the game, then make a range for it. About 15 block should do, and hit mark should shown if you saw him (I mean in sight).
'On Jan 24th', Congress will vote to pass internet censorship in the Senate, even though the vast majority of Americans are opposed. We need to kill the bill - PIPA and SOPA - to protect our rights to free speech, privacy, and prosperity.
Mio

Postby TheGeekZeke101 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:10 pm

Mio wrote:I have two thinkings about this idea:
1 - Nope. Because, it's so lame that a SMG guy spamming and got random hitmarking, then keep hitting. That's even protecting wallhacking.
Instead make blood trace, but that's impossible. So my final idea is make a panting sound, hurting noise more longer, I mean "more bigger noise".
2 - Yes, but if you guys going to implement Hit Markers in the game, then make a range for it. About 15 block should do, and hit mark should shown if you saw him (I mean in sight).

This all sounds ridiculous.

1- Where the hell did you get this? Hit markers are to improve gameplay, not for fun. Not to mention there is already an injured noise.

2- What is the point in that? The idea is hit markers will help identify if you shot someone you hadn't seen. 15 blocks is short not to mention.

Retired Member Missing In Action As Of 7/26/12
TheGeekZeke101

Postby Mio » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:47 pm

TheGeekZeke101 wrote:
Mio wrote:I have two thinkings about this idea:

This all sounds ridiculous.

1- Where the hell did you get this? Hit markers are to improve gameplay, not for fun. Not to mention there is already an injured noise.

2- What is the point in that? The idea is hit markers will help identify if you shot someone you hadn't seen. 15 blocks is short not to mention.

1 - From COD wallhackers.
2 - Make something besides hitmarking. Or make a limit to see the hitmark.
'On Jan 24th', Congress will vote to pass internet censorship in the Senate, even though the vast majority of Americans are opposed. We need to kill the bill - PIPA and SOPA - to protect our rights to free speech, privacy, and prosperity.
Mio

Postby TheGeekZeke101 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:32 pm

Yeah, COD wallhackers. No suck thing in AoS.

Retired Member Missing In Action As Of 7/26/12
TheGeekZeke101

Postby SIMOX » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:22 pm

And all this to shut up some noob kids blaming other legit ppl hacking? After watching some MW2 videos, I do not want it. Funny thing is that some ppl probably tried to make COD like a realistic modern shooter, but it turned out like a piece of garbage. INSURGENCY - Google that and compare.
SIMOX

Postby Mio » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:19 am

SIMOX wrote:And all this to shut up some noob kids blaming other legit ppl hacking? After watching some MW2 videos, I do not want it. Funny thing is that some ppl probably tried to make COD like a realistic modern shooter, but it turned out like a piece of garbage. INSURGENCY - Google that and compare.

INSUGERNCY ? do you talking about that game...

*lol, at MyWay's comment. I think he's a BF3 fanboy*
Mio

Postby lehma18 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Completely useless and stupid, just like bullet-tracers. If i don't kill my target on the first shot, i crouch behind cover, wait for him to shoot and take another shot at him. Standing will get you killed, you guys should have already figured this out.
"Killing is just one of those things that gets easier the more you do it"- Solid Snake
"I did what i was told to do, the best i could." - Simo Häyhä, legendary finnish sniper.
lehma18

Postby Cyanyde » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:56 am

I didn't read the whole thread yet, but I +1 this suggestion.
I also would like a hit-beep(q3 style), but one or the other would be fine.
Cyanyde

Postby Yakkers » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:01 am

Ehh, I'm kinda opposed to the idea, but if it's moddable I could always just replace it with a blank image.
I just think hitmarkers break immersion, and AoS is one of the last few shooters that has a nice sense of spatial presence and immersion. I feel like hitmarkers make it feel less like you're actually throwing bullets at an enemy and more like you're just trying to hit a target to get an unrelated visual response.

It could solve some problems with people calling hax too easily, however.
Yakkers

PreviousNext

Return to Game