Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

A custom block option for voxed

Got a great new idea for the game?

A custom block option for voxed

Postby Danke » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:05 pm

My idea:
http://i.imgur.com/I5oUf.png

My knowledge of the engine is pretty much non-existent, but I think this is pretty possible and shouldn't cause any real performance hit.

Thoughts?
I thought also maybe having each node (or whatever) in the 8x8x8 grid be customizable in color, but if none is chosen it would default to whatever voxed says the overall block's color is.
That way you could make something like these two blocks with only one custom block:
Danke

Re: A custom block option for voxed

Postby WhyDee » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:12 pm

Danke wrote:My idea:
http://i.imgur.com/I5oUf.png

My knowledge of the engine is pretty much non-existent, but I think this is pretty possible and shouldn't cause any real performance hit.

Thoughts?
I thought also maybe having each node (or whatever) in the 8x8x8 grid be customizable in color, but if none is chosen it would default to whatever voxed says the overall block's color is.
That way you could make something like these two blocks with only one custom block:

... this is exactly what the humanity needed
WhyDee

Postby ChaosTLW » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:38 pm

VOXED isnt even part of AoS...It is an independent project by the same creator of SLAB6,someone whose name I dont remember at the moment.
#1 most active member

We are here because the Universe offers conditions so life can evolve,to the point where(at least one)species,in a small planet around a star lost between millions of galaxies,is able to ask itself:What was my origin? (M. Gleiser)
ChaosTLW

Postby ThisFrickinSite » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:00 am

this wont work because this will require having the source code. With the engine that the game uses, it draws the cubes (not the ones from slab6) out into the air based on coordinates, this means that the game right now has the terrain 100% code based. i did take a look at the engine since i am getting into coding and programming and this is probably how it works considering the fact that this is one of the main features. and changing block color on certain parts would make you need to design textures for it (i think... other methods dont seem sensible to me). So then you are literly doing what minecraft does and assigning block id's with with a texture to call in. changing it on each side would mean optimising the code further to assign each side a variable and assign those variables textures to call in unless you are fine with each side of the block having the same texture.

Basicaly, Minecraft is perfect for this.
ThisFrickinSite
{RS} Member

Postby xEric » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:08 am

VOXED isnt even part of AoS...It is an independent project by the same creator of SLAB6,someone whose name I dont remember at the moment.

Right. Well anyways his name Is ken Silvermen or something like that. Well this would be a good idea if Ben made voxed. But yeah.
Back
xEric

Postby Danke » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:07 am

Well, it could be implemented some other way outside of voxed, maybe with the pyspades map editor or maybe do it ingame and resave. I'm more interested on what you think about the idea, not so much the implementation.
this wont work because this will require having the source code.

Well this is a suggestion to ben, not a suggestion for a script.
and changing block color on certain parts would make you need to design textures for it

This is not what I am talking about though. I do not mean a texture, this is purely a model that is the size of a block.
I thought that was pretty clear in the image.
Danke

Return to Game