Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Map repository

Got a great new idea for the game?

Map repository

Postby ThePalmTreeMagician » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:47 am

Loading time can take quite a while, especially for maps with more complex terrain. I think it would be better to have a maps folder in the install, so when a client connects to the server, if the client has the map, only the changes to the map need to be transferred. If the client doesn't have the map, it is downloaded, then the changes are transmitted.

This would make loading times during map changes very fast, because players would already have the map in their possession.

This system would slow down loading time initially, but once people build up their repository of typically used maps, the loading time should increase.

Obviously maps could be tagged for not undergoing through this process, especially classic gen or maps with copyright / agreements between map maker and server host.
ThePalmTreeMagician

Re: Map repository

Postby Altoids » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:27 am

What if the map is severely griefed? What'll happen then?
Altoids
Komrade Member

Postby ThePalmTreeMagician » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:47 am

As in the map has had a large number of changes made to it? Unless you manage to change a lot of the map, it won't be an issue, and that's not probable on most maps.

- Island maps have large ocean areas at the sides, and building there is insanely difficult.
- Even maps with land everywhere usually end up with most changes focused in the centre of the map, and those are usually focused at ground level (small towers or tunnels).
- Tower of Babel maps have large towers, but those are near the centre as well, and even less building occurs around the fringes.
- Hallway is the only map (I can think of) that would have a large number of changes higher up as well as lower down, but few changes occur around the edges of the map there as well.

To answer your question, yes, if enough changes are made the load time would decrease, but if the server owner knows the map ends up with a large number of changes, they can just turn the feature off. Or alternatively, the server can calculate which method is more efficient (send / load the map and changes or just send the map as is).
ThePalmTreeMagician

Postby Derpy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:30 am

Kind of like Urban Terror's style of maps? I like.

I'm a brony, but not too far.

Why I choose to play AOS, and why I stay in it is a mystery to even me. Perhaps, when I grow older, I may discover that reason, and the answer to other questions of this game.
Derpy
[TSB] Member

Return to Game