Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Physics?

Got a great new idea for the game?

Physics?

Postby gmodder22 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:11 am

I got bored and thought of how Aos would do with physics like if a grenade was thrown into a small room with little openings the grenade would cause more damage and such and bullets would slow down after travling the entire distance of the map instead of blankly dissapearing and i was actuallying thinking of ragdoll deaths instead of very laggy knees and elbow joints it would be jointed at the shoulders and lower torso or somthing when you died and i know it can be done because of voxel stien and the smg recoil i mean in aos your a damn solider you can hold onto a smg without much trouble and also this isent about building falling and stuff like that but i would like more voxels to fall when somthing falls and explodes (god theres so many typos here but i m too lazy to fix them)
____________________________Gmodder22's siggy_____________________________
My modshttp://ace-spades.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9332
Do please check them out it would be marvelous if you could!
gmodder22

Re: Physics?

Postby SilentGunna » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:42 am

So basically what your saying is bigger explosions, some bullet drop, and ragdoll physics? Well this was suggested a few times but I'll still give my opinion anyway. The explosions don't have a very big block damage radius but I would leave the player damage radius where it's at, bullet drop I like because it would actually take some skill for snipers, ragdoll physics I think are kinda pointless right now but when Ben and Matt fix a majority of the problems that players complain about, maybe they can make the game more prettier.
Ingame name: [DELTA]Paingel
"You live long enough to see yourself become the villain." -Harvey Dent
SilentGunna
[DELTA] Member

Postby gmodder22 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:51 am

No you dont get it when an explosion is contained like a grenade explosion not much of the pressure can escape so it just has a bigger radius thats what i mean by physics and the bullet drop thing i mean instead of dissapearing it could just slow down untill it actually falls instead of dissapearing it flys for a while and such but when its meant to dissapear instead it slows down then falls.
gmodder22

Postby Altoids » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:54 am

So you want:
1-Bigger blast radius for grenades
2-Bullet drop will be able to hit the ground
2-Ragdoll physics

1: No. We already have a big enough blast radius for grenades.
2: Would be kinda cheap, especially with SMG.
3: Already suggested.
Altoids
Komrade Member

Postby gmodder22 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:25 am

FFS if an explosion happens in a small room the pressure is contained and thus it kills any one in the room due to instantainous pressure changes that are insane and the explosion would be bigger due to the contained pressure because it would weaken the structual integrity of the room(blocksand such) and the explosion breaks them down due to the pressure change weakening them.
gmodder22

Postby SilentGunna » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:05 am

gmodder22 wrote:FFS if an explosion happens in a small room the pressure is contained and thus it kills any one in the room due to instantainous pressure changes that are insane and the explosion would be bigger due to the contained pressure because it would weaken the structual integrity of the room(blocksand such) and the explosion breaks them down due to the pressure change weakening them.

Sounds too complicated for such a simple game.
Ingame name: [DELTA]Paingel
"You live long enough to see yourself become the villain." -Harvey Dent
SilentGunna
[DELTA] Member

Postby scarfacemperor » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:37 pm

With a bigger blast radius, grenades would be OP. I don't imagine the power of my shrapnels if you double their radius

If you consider the speed of bullets (800m/s for the rifle) and the line of sight in AOS (roughly 100m), bullet drop would be negligible : 8cm of bullet drop at 100m. That's roughly 1 pixel on the player.

Ragdoll physic would be too complicated and I don't think it would be very useful
The Scarmory : all my mods : viewtopic.php?f=71&t=6995
Mass Effect Pack V.7 Available - scopes (finally) included !
"cease fire, Grenadier ! The Old Guard only fights with the spade"
scarfacemperor

Postby CakeBones » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:24 am

Ragdolls would most likely lag games for average computers. And a pretty big chunk of the AoS community has shit computers.
Bullet drop would be awesome, because I'm used to games like Battlefield, where the bullet drops after a while.
Bigger grenade explosion, nah. It's alright by me. Nobody has complained from what I've seen.

TL;DR: Ragdolls would lag, Bullet drop would be awesome, bigger explosion radius, no.
CakeBones

Postby CraftDinur » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:28 am

He said bullet slowdown not bullet drop.

That would mean after you shot a bullet it would slow down up until a point where it would stop moving altogether and just float in space. Then if you ran your head into this floating bullet you would die.

On a more serious note as had been said already this is pretty complex for just a simple shooter game. Coding a grenade exploding in an enclosed area is extremely hard and the current grenade explosion is good enough.
IGN: CraftDinur, Mr. Yoshimori, 49th Parallel
CraftDinur

Postby scarfacemperor » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:05 am

Once more, bullet slowdown is very low, no one would notice it
The Scarmory : all my mods : viewtopic.php?f=71&t=6995
Mass Effect Pack V.7 Available - scopes (finally) included !
"cease fire, Grenadier ! The Old Guard only fights with the spade"
scarfacemperor

Postby HoboHob » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:43 pm

Guys, Ragdoll physics wouldn't lag Ace of Spades a lot.

A lot of people are saying "BUT VOXELSTEIN HAS RAGDOLL PHYSICS AND IT LAGS"

That is because every single model in Voxelstein has around 2,000 voxels and in Ace of Spades the average model has maybe 100.

And the levels in Voxelstein are made out of voxels too, so add a few million there.
HoboHob

Postby gmodder22 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:06 pm

Damn it every one take god damn physics into mind what im saying is that an explosion when surrounded by a small enclosure kills any in it due to the fact that the pressure is un able to escape and that kills people due to sudden pressure changes and the grenade radius that destroys blocks would be slightly bigger as well im talking about god damn physics real world physics and im not talking about god damn bullets not slowing down to the point were they just hover in the damn air they fall due to it not flying fast as hell any more so it falls in stead of just dissapearing.
gmodder22

Postby Altoids » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:46 pm

gmodder22 wrote:Damn it every one take god damn physics into mind what im saying is that an explosion when surrounded by a small enclosure kills any in it due to the fact that the pressure is un able to escape and that kills people due to sudden pressure changes and the grenade radius that destroys blocks would be slightly bigger as well im talking about god damn physics real world physics and im not talking about god damn bullets not slowing down to the point were they just hover in the damn air they fall due to it not flying fast as hell any more so it falls in stead of just dissapearing.

I still don't know what you're trying to say, unless you want across-the-map kills, and quintuple kills when 5 guys are in a room with a grenade.

This game is too simple for physics.
Altoids
Komrade Member

Postby HoboHob » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:54 am

This is what I believe he is saying:
When a grenade is thrown in a room with little or no openings, the grenades do a much higher damage. Because the pressure cannot escape.
HoboHob

Postby Carrotstick » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:20 pm

When I got trapped in a room with a nade,I placed some blocks around the nade if I had time.It won't get you harmed.
Carrotstick
[SPQR] Member

Return to Game