Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Age restricted servers.

Got a great new idea for the game?

Age restricted servers.

Postby lehma18 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:07 am

I recently watched TB's mailbox, and he glanced upon the subject of age restricted servers. I think it is a fantastic idea, and should be added to the game ASAP.

Quoting TB: "There is no real way to moderate it, but it doesn't mean it shouldn't be there."

Moderating this without a registration system is going to be hard, but if/when we get one, it'll be worth it.
"Killing is just one of those things that gets easier the more you do it"- Solid Snake
"I did what i was told to do, the best i could." - Simo Häyhä, legendary finnish sniper.
lehma18

Re: Age restricted servers.

Postby MuOa » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:08 am

and how would you know if a person was lying about their age or not..?
^click
MuOa

Postby lehma18 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:19 am

MuOa wrote:and how would you know if a person was lying about their age or not..?

Currently you cannot. I said it in the post above.
"Killing is just one of those things that gets easier the more you do it"- Solid Snake
"I did what i was told to do, the best i could." - Simo Häyhä, legendary finnish sniper.
lehma18

Postby Mariokillu » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:20 am

See, what you do is insert a special .dll into the installer. What it does is send the location of the person to the FBI, then at this point the FBI goes to the person's house and verify their age, and give them the go or no go.

There is no way this could possibly go wrong.
Mariokillu

Postby lehma18 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:34 am

Mariokillu wrote:See, what you do is insert a special .dll into the installer. What it does is send the location of the person to the FBI, then at this point the FBI goes to the person's house and verify their age, and give them the go or no go.

GENIOUS.

But for real, social security number verification is a proven method. And if we get an ingame voice chat, the community can kick the under age player.
lehma18

Postby Articsledder » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:25 am

I think a plain old Whitelist system would work more. Then the server owners can decide the specifics.
aend tehn teh cahirs began to snip
Articsledder

Postby SilentGunna » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:32 am

Mariokillu wrote:See, what you do is insert a special .dll into the installer. What it does is send the location of the person to the FBI, then at this point the FBI goes to the person's house and verify their age, and give them the go or no go.

Why should the FBI go to a persons house just to see if they're old enough to play a game? It's not like they're a threat to national security or anything... Unless they're a damn pedophile.
Ingame name: [DELTA]Paingel
"You live long enough to see yourself become the villain." -Harvey Dent
SilentGunna
[DELTA] Member

Postby XFrostByteX » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:46 am

SilentGunna wrote:Why should the FBI go to a persons house just to see if they're old enough to play a game? It's not like they're a threat to national security or anything... Unless they're a damn pedophile.

Sarcasm

Google it.

And to be honest, there's almost zero way to moderate this. Well, any sane way to moderate it. Make a whitelist server, simple as that.
XFrostByteX

Postby HoboHob » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:33 am

Well what about those mature 10 year olds (the few and far between)
HoboHob

Postby jdrewlowery » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:53 am

HoboHob wrote:Well what about those mature 10 year olds (the few and far between)

yea i mean im 12 do i get to just not play anymore ?
I'm nooby and i know it
jdrewlowery
[SPQR] Member

Postby lehma18 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:21 am

As i have said in this thread, there's no 100% sure way to moderate this. But it doesn't mean it shouldn't be there, there isn't a foolproof anti-cheat system either, but every multiplayer game has one.

What it basically means, (if this ever gets added) is that the server host can add age restriction to his server, for 18+ players, 15+ players, etc.
lehma18

Postby ZaPhobos » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:24 am

Um... What is the point of age restriction?

Why not just add a filter for harsh language? (Shams)
ZaPhobos
[DELTA] Member

Postby SilentGunna » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:05 am

ZaPhobos wrote:Um... What is the point of age restriction?

If there is to be a bad language filter, there better be a way to turn it off, because I can't live without my raging and profanity D:
Ingame name: [DELTA]Paingel
"You live long enough to see yourself become the villain." -Harvey Dent
SilentGunna
[DELTA] Member

Postby lehma18 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:27 am

ZaPhobos wrote:Um... What is the point of age restriction?

You can filter all you like, but it doesn't remove the problem. The problem being that most kids <15 are immature, grief, hack, are generally worse players, etc. This gives the mature player the ability to choose if they want to play with kids or not, witch attracts HC-gamers, resulting in a larger playerbase and better community.
lehma18

Postby Mariokillu » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:12 am

SilentGunna wrote:

Why should the FBI go to a persons house just to see if they're old enough to play a game? It's not like they're a threat to national security or anything... Unless they're a damn pedophile.

You are the reason that sarcasm is a lost medium.
Mariokillu

Next

Return to Game