Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Hacking Is a No No.....

Got a great new idea for the game?

Re: Hacking Is a No No.....

Postby Derpy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:23 am

HoboHob wrote:
Derpy wrote:
HoboHob wrote:No you don't get what I am trying to say. Don't pretend you do, because what you are talking about is something completely different from what I am.

I feel this suggestion is starting a flame war within the area which is least probable for a flame war.

wut

IKR.

No one gets it.

I think I understand what it is, but I won't say my real thoughts about it, as it may provoke you into flaming my ass.

I'm a brony, but not too far.

Why I choose to play AOS, and why I stay in it is a mystery to even me. Perhaps, when I grow older, I may discover that reason, and the answer to other questions of this game.
Derpy
[TSB] Member

Postby HoboHob » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:58 am

Derpy wrote:
HoboHob wrote:
Derpy wrote:
I feel this suggestion is starting a flame war within the area which is least probable for a flame war.

wut

IKR.

No one gets it.

I think I understand what it is, but I won't say my real thoughts about it, as it may provoke you into flaming my ass.

Depends on whether you actually understand my suggestion or not.

Best not to say.
HoboHob

Postby ResistAnce128 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:20 am

= _= And I was just banned from a server for hacking, while not hacking
No.
ResistAnce128

Postby Afrodude4 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:43 am

ResistAnce128 wrote:= _= And I was just banned from a server for hacking, while not hacking

Welcome to Ace of Spades.
Representing Jamaica Power

Afrodude4

Postby Derpy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:27 am

ResistAnce128 wrote:= _= And I was just banned from a server for hacking, while not hacking

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploa ... -wonka.jpg

This.

I'm a brony, but not too far.

Why I choose to play AOS, and why I stay in it is a mystery to even me. Perhaps, when I grow older, I may discover that reason, and the answer to other questions of this game.
Derpy
[TSB] Member

Postby rakiru » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:51 pm

The amount of derp from non-technical people trying to suggest technical solutions is IQ-droppingly high.

Writing an effective anti-cheat system requires a lot of time and effort, as it has to be able to detect new hacks, as well as be updated often to stop people finding a way past it once then never having to worry again. If it doesn't get updated for months, it will take a few days (at most - most likely minutes) for someone to find out how to disable it then load the same old hacks back in.
A server-side solution isn't affected (much) by the update problem, and already exists in some form for pyspades servers (check the community scripts), but it is also much more limited in what it can detect, and how accurate it can be - you have to give players the benefit of the doubt in most cases, otherwise you end up affecting regular players. This leeway gives hackers room to work with and can code their hacks to work within the limits.

Edit: Oh, and hey AfroDude, haven't seen you on mumble for a while - any particular reason?
rakiru

Postby Afrodude4 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:35 pm

Lol rakiru, I was wondering if it was the same person.

I've been hanging out with some cool people from here, not the idiots that you see trying to look smart. Haven't really had time to get on Mumble, trying to let things settle down a bit more.
Representing Jamaica Power

Afrodude4

Postby ResistAnce128 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:39 pm

rakiru wrote:The amount of derp from non-technical people trying to suggest technical solutions is IQ-droppingly high.

Writing an effective anti-cheat system requires a lot of time and effort, as it has to be able to detect new hacks, as well as be updated often to stop people finding a way past it once then never having to worry again. If it doesn't get updated for months, it will take a few days (at most - most likely minutes) for someone to find out how to disable it then load the same old hacks back in.
A server-side solution isn't affected (much) by the update problem, and already exists in some form for pyspades servers (check the community scripts), but it is also much more limited in what it can detect, and how accurate it can be - you have to give players the benefit of the doubt in most cases, otherwise you end up affecting regular players. This leeway gives hackers room to work with and can code their hacks to work within the limits.

Edit: Oh, and hey AfroDude, haven't seen you on mumble for a while - any particular reason?

However! It will stop the majority of people who hack the game. The majority being, barely literate thugs who don't have much of an idea of what hacking really is
No.
ResistAnce128

Postby rakiru » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:13 pm

ResistAnce128 wrote:
rakiru wrote:The amount of derp from non-technical people trying to suggest technical solutions is IQ-droppingly high.

However! It will stop the majority of people who hack the game. The majority being, barely literate thugs who don't have much of an idea of what hacking really is

It won't, because if it isn't getting updated, then more and more people will share their working hacks, as the risk of it causing it to get patched is minimal.
As for the heuristics thing, if a working hack is released, you can't do anything about it, as tightening the restrictions would simply hurt normal players.
rakiru

Previous

Return to Game