Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Game period choice

Got a great new idea for the game?

Game period choice

Postby scarfacemperor » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:56 pm

Hello, here's an idea I think it could bse fun : allow a period selection of the game, giving different weapons based on the period :

-Old period : musket + bayonet + grenades
The musket holds only 1 bullet and takes 10-15 seconds to reload. It also makes melee damage when you run to an enemy or attack when you are in contact.
Each player is "helped" by several NPCs (10-15 per player) who follow the player. You can choose having them in line (more health and damage) or in loose formation (more mobility to harass enemies)
They will act the same way as you do : if you shoot they shoot, making a volley of bullets, then reload. If you charge at the bayonet, they charge. If you throw your grenades... you've understood
To kill a player, you must kill him and all his NPCs, if you die but still have some NPCs, you'll control one of them. But obviously your firepower will be decreased.
You can also take control of artillery batteries that cause very high damage but can not move

-Modern period : current weapons, curent gameplay

-Future period : laser guns, plasma guns + laser pointer
2 variations of current weapons : laser and plasma. Laser causes damage over time with no recoil, while plasma is far more brutal but shots take time to reach the target. Your ammo regenerates over time.
To kill someone, first bring down his shield, then his health. There is no shield-headshot extra damage, headshots are only available when shield is down
You also have the ability to use an orbital ion cannon that causes massive damage when you aim your laser pointer. Just aim it and shoot, and a massive blast of energy will come from the sky, killing anyone in its way. This ability takes 1 minute to reload and is available to anyone
The Scarmory : all my mods : viewtopic.php?f=71&t=6995
Mass Effect Pack V.7 Available - scopes (finally) included !
"cease fire, Grenadier ! The Old Guard only fights with the spade"
scarfacemperor

Re: Game period choice

Postby Derpy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:07 pm

I think this would be good idea, but I'm not sure if the AoS code could handle it.

I'm a brony, but not too far.

Why I choose to play AOS, and why I stay in it is a mystery to even me. Perhaps, when I grow older, I may discover that reason, and the answer to other questions of this game.
Derpy
[TSB] Member

Postby Articsledder » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:15 pm

I remember playing an "old fashioned" match once. Everyone used the shotgun, and stood in lines facing each-other. It was pretty funny how long it actually took. 8/10 would play again.
aend tehn teh cahirs began to snip
Articsledder

Postby XxsnipahxX » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:21 pm

scarfacemperor wrote:
-Old period : musket + bayonet + grenades
The musket holds only 1 bullet and takes 10-15 seconds to reload. It also makes melee damage when you run to an enemy or attack when you are in contact.
Each player is "helped" by several NPCs (10-15 per player) who follow the player. You can choose having them in line (more health and damage) or in loose formation (more mobility to harass enemies)
They will act the same way as you do : if you shoot they shoot, making a volley of bullets, then reload. If you charge at the bayonet, they charge. If you throw your grenades... you've understood
To kill a player, you must kill him and all his NPCs, if you die but still have some NPCs, you'll control one of them. But obviously your firepower will be decreased.
You can also take control of artillery batteries that cause very high damage but can not move

There was not grenades during old periods, maybe dynamite replaces grenades.
want a sig like mines?Click here^^
Stats:
IGN:[DELTA]snipe
favorite weapon(s): SMG and rifle
favorite server: Last Team standing,Shams Little Pony, and Minit US
When I die, bury me face down so the world can kiss my ass.
XxsnipahxX
[DELTA] Member

Postby scarfacemperor » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:04 pm

There actually was grenades during the "Old Period". "Old Period" is based in late 17th century to early 19th century tactics, when armies fought in line with bayonet rifles, shooting one volley of bullets before charging with the bayonet, while dynamite only exists since late 19th century, when gunpowder muskets were clearly outdated compared to bolt-action rifles and early machineguns, and bayonets only rarely used (1% of combat kills during Secession War, and that wasn't late 19th century yet...)

During 18th century, grenadiers were elite troops, who needed to be strong enough to throw grenades far enough not to be injured by its explosion, and calm enough to throw it under enemy fire. Early grenades were simply an empty ball of steel, filled with gunpowder and with a fuse as a detonator.
scarfacemperor

Postby ATsch » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:59 pm

waaay to comlicated :( I think having (shotgun and) rifle only matches would be the same as the old period, and the ammo and reload are server sided, you could ask a pyspades guy to do that.

to Vodoo players i have to say no, much to complicated too, and I cant imagin that not being annoying ore completely demolishng the use of cover, trenches, cover, or anything else like that.

Modern: lasergun: not a bad idea, no recoil could me implemented
Plasma: this would saddly need projectiles, right now delay is (i think) not possible because we have point-and-shoot
laserpointer: Actually not a bad idea, could be like a mini airstrike, just without the time difference, or alteratively, grenades could spawn at impact location.

Conclusion:

thought of periods myself too but WW1(current,sorta) and WW2(Airoplanes,intelligence,secret operations, bombs) would be a better addition to the game. A skript for all of this could be easily written maybe contact a pyspades dev
CAUTION: This post by the user "ATsch" could potentially contain elements such as "sarcasm" or "metaphors" where he does not mean what he is saying.
Badass profile picture -.-
ATsch
[DELTA] Member

Postby Marxist » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:56 pm

Supported for modern and oldern. Future is laggy.
IGN: Groendland
Marxist

Postby ugotpiez » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:58 am

Lead an army of blocky soldiers. YES!

[IGN] USABxAIRLINES -- BOOYOxAIRLINES -- El Jefe -- Airlines
ugotpiez
[USAB] Member

Postby scarfacemperor » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:46 am

Thinking about the Old Period, to replace weapon :

-Line infantry : control more soldiers than other classes, but no extra weapon or ability
-Grenadier : you can use grenades (less powerful than current ones, otherwise it would be OP)
-Skirmishers : you can fight in loose formation, giving you greater mobility.
scarfacemperor

Postby Marxist » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:16 pm

Now that I think about this, this may be bad. If you want older or futuristic weapons, just make a mod =P
IGN: Groendland
Marxist

Postby XxsnipahxX » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:27 pm

What about a cannon-runner? The old period shotgun was a cannon. It has to be deployed before you can shoot, and has HUGE damage and a 4 by 4 radius. And a LONG RELOAD for about 10 to 20 seconds, you also have to sacrifice your blocks to make the cannon balls. The cannon-runner is for long range support.
want a sig like mines?Click here^^
Stats:
IGN:[DELTA]snipe
favorite weapon(s): SMG and rifle
favorite server: Last Team standing,Shams Little Pony, and Minit US
When I die, bury me face down so the world can kiss my ass.
XxsnipahxX
[DELTA] Member

Postby ThisFrickinSite » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:40 pm

the musket thing definately sounds interesting for mlg style matches, but it makes it too dificult to be faced with multiple enemies. shorter reload?
ThisFrickinSite
{RS} Member

Postby scarfacemperor » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:02 pm

All the point of 18th century warfare was to shoot one volley of bullets, then charge with the bayonet. Just remember to play in team, not to be outnumbered. The best tactic may be shooting alternatively with your teammates, not all shooting at the same time. You and your teammates will always have some guns loaded, so you'll be defended anytime. Just as suppressing fire is a very powerful tactic to get rid of a sniper.

Gameplay and tactics depend on weapons : modern weapons like in AOS are merciless and force you to be as little exposed as possible as you can be killed in a fraction of second, once an enemy sees you. Muzzle-loading muskets, with poor accuracy, make them ineffective at long range, the closest you come from the enemy, the more powerful is your volley

For the cannon... yep, field guns could be cool. However due to cannon's weight (a Napoleonic 12-pounder weighted 4 tons), it's horse-tracted instead of carried by men. An cool extra feature : have the choice of shooting cannonballs (long range, accurate fire) or grapeshot, turning your cannon into a giant shotgun.
scarfacemperor

Postby ThisFrickinSite » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:26 pm

well one tactic that was almost alwayse used back then was to just out number, and that was all. one side would all shoot at the same time and then get shot at during reloading and vise versa. in the end it was really a matter of who had more people.
ThisFrickinSite
{RS} Member

Postby ante185 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:50 pm

scarfacemperor wrote:Thinking about the Old Period, to replace weapon :

-Line infantry : control more soldiers than other classes, but no extra weapon or ability
-Grenadier : you can use grenades (less powerful than current ones, otherwise it would be OP)
-Skirmishers : you can fight in loose formation, giving you greater mobility.

I like that idea, Li armed with muskets fromed in line in groups of 5+, G being a group of 4-5 and Sh armed with rifle and in smal groups of 2-4.
Li would beat G
G would beat Sh
And Sh would beat Li sorta, like in Age Of Empiers 3
ante185

Next

Return to Game