Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Tab-complete names

Got a great new idea for the game?

Tab-complete names

Postby Danke » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:34 am

Let me type a few letters of their name and hit TAB to complete it.

While you're at it, check for illegal characters in names so I don't have to deal with no-namers, ←←←←John, and people with names like "æ". They make playing, adminning, and votekick harding for everyone, and impossible for new players.
Danke

Re: Tab-complete names

Postby mcape6 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:35 pm

what about the id tag everybody has?

"don't believe every quote you see on the internet" Abraham lincoln
mcape6

Postby USABxBOOYO » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:42 pm

Nowhere does it say what that ID tag is for, in fact most players just assume it's a random number. I know I did when I first started playing, and I had read the entire readme. Placing an ID on players is no substitute for allowing only alphanumerical characters (Or at the very least standard ASCII only). This is because if someone uses non-standard ASCII in their username, oftentimes the killfeed will say that that player is a bunch of random letters as opposed to the non-standard ASCII they're using. Now say two people have non-standard ASCII in their name and one of them is hacking. Even if you are a knowlegdgable admin, it would be pretty difficult to discern which one is which. A noob would just be completely lost.

Tab auto-complete isn't as necessary but it would make things easier for us.
USABxBOOYO
Global Moderator

Postby IronShotGun » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:48 pm

If you also forgot, when you type a name already in use, it gives you a number, or it gives you one of the characters you would receive when pressing control.

Example : Type deuce as your name a few times and you will probably get a "invisible character" or one of the small blocks in the config, which actually comes out to a arrow in game.
Latest Game Play : http://i.imgur.com/mUzcK.png
uvs wrote:360n0sc0pewEedSmokEHeAdShotToThEBalLs everyone.
IronShotGun

Postby burgerblock » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:33 pm

I'm in agreement that this is a great idea for vote-kicking players who use unusually long names or names with unusual characters, but the counter-argument made by mcape is equally valid. I assume you got this idea from Minecraft, and in Minecraft it works better because many people play on private servers with only 3-4 people at a time, creating minimal overlap in names. I think the best solution would probably be typing out /votekick, then press tab to bring up the scoreboard where you can actually click on a name to add that to the end of your text. It probably wouldn't be the easiest thing for the devs, but it could still be a handy feature, I believe.
burgerblock

Postby ChaosTLW » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:43 pm

I still think that a votekick GUI would be better, but until we get that, I don't see why not.
#1 most active member

We are here because the Universe offers conditions so life can evolve,to the point where(at least one)species,in a small planet around a star lost between millions of galaxies,is able to ask itself:What was my origin? (M. Gleiser)
ChaosTLW

Postby ThisFrickinSite » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:10 pm

i suport this because sometimes if you try to type in somebodies id because their name is all kinds of messedup-edness for a votekick or somethine, it will start the votekick for someone with those numbers in their name isntead.
ThisFrickinSite
{RS} Member

Return to Game