Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Artillery Cannon: A teamwork only asset

Got a great new idea for the game?

Re: Artillery Cannon: A teamwork only asset

Postby Tarkaris » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:18 am

Added suggestions for the Artillery cannon under the first post.
"I'll change the world... Through my own will."
http://ace-spades.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9308 Visit for Castle Crashers and Gundam stuff!
Tarkaris

Postby Articsledder » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:43 am

I'm all for Artillery, but I don't have faith in most people being able to handle this in it's current state. I suggest:

The gun is built with a single "formula" where blocks must be placed correctly for it to work. This takes up all 50 blocks, and cannot be hastily constructed on the front lines.
Once built correctly, the blocks vanish and are replaced with a structure similar to the HMG.

This weapon can just barely (at 45 degrees) fire all the way across the map. Overpowered? No. The render distance covers maybe 1/6 of the map at best. The operator of the gun would have to rely on a spotter off in the distance giving feedback on whether or not the shells are hitting the target.

The spotter themselves has no special abilities or link to the gun. They are just a random person who cooperates.

If no one wants to spot, the operator could simply try and find there craters by opening up the map, but this would be painstakingly slow and waste time.

Each shell would cost only 5 blocks to manufacture, 10 is a bit too much.

Now, these guns would also be very useful inside the fog range. By holding shift and pressing in a direction with WASD the operator "disassembles" the gun, and can move it around at walking speed. It is destroyed if it falls into the water and climbs hills Extremely slowly. Generally, the battlefield would have to be secure for it to be moved onto the front lines.
aend tehn teh cahirs began to snip
Articsledder

Postby Commodore » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:19 am

Building a special form is a good idea, but 50 blocks would be very big. It should turn 180 degrees, because it would have to protect itself from enemies. Its bullets should have gravity and that would be the range(and a special challenge for the aimer). Carrying would be useless if it could be turned back into blocks.
IGN: Commodore T.M.N
Commodore

Postby Articsledder » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:21 pm

Commodore wrote:Building a special form is a good idea, but 50 blocks would be very big. It should turn 180 degrees, because it would have to protect itself from enemies. Its bullets should have gravity and that would be the range(and a special challenge for the aimer). Carrying would be useless if it could be turned back into blocks.

Any less then 50 blocks and people would be building it right in front of enemies. It shouldn't be able to shoot within a few seconds of shooting. I already mentioned that it had gravity.

I never said anything about it being turned back into blocks.
Articsledder

Postby Tarkaris » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:35 pm

I came up with the idea of a item induced "spotter" for the sake of making it a teamwork asset, not just a powerful weapon requiring building. As for building it it would have to take some time, otherwise it would be too OP.

As for the shell cost, ChaosTLW had the idea that loading very few blocks would mean the weapon fired a very weak but fast reloading projectile while loading a large amount (I.E. 50) would have devastating results.
http://ace-spades.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9308 Visit for Castle Crashers and Gundam stuff!
Tarkaris

Postby Articsledder » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Tarkaris wrote:I came up with the idea of a item induced "spotter" for the sake of making it a teamwork asset, not just a powerful weapon requiring building. As for building it it would have to take some time, otherwise it would be too OP.

As for the shell cost, ChaosTLW had the idea that loading very few blocks would mean the weapon fired a very weak but fast reloading projectile while loading a large amount (I.E. 50) would have devastating results.

The thing is in my suggestion the weapon would pretty much useless without a spotter.
Articsledder

Postby SRL » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:53 pm

Lol, this kinda sounds like a dirt cannon since it'll be firing blocks from your inventory.

Anyways, +1
SRL
{AGAN} Member

Postby AZaz09dude » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:28 am

The people in direct combat should be able to give the spotter messages about where the artillery is needed and how powerful the shells should be
AZaz09dude

Postby XFrostByteX » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:48 pm

Can't they just say "Cannon at (Cordinates), we need you to fire a shell at (more cordinates)." ?
XFrostByteX

Postby Tarkaris » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:08 pm

I made the suggestion for spotter so that a kill-monger wouldn't just build an artillery cannon and randomly fire on his own. The principle behind the suggestion was to get people who don't normally work together working together.

And XFrostByteX is right about how simple requesting help from artillery is. Just use the default chat.
Tarkaris

Postby MedicRoe » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:27 am

I like the idea of artillery very much, would be useful for helping pushes, or destroying those pesky bunkers.

I imagine it would leave craters and destroy chunks of affore-mentioned bunkers with a relatively (not too big though) big explosion.

Can we get further detail on how it would operate? Yeah, operator gets observer vision, but more exact. How would you aim it?

I personally like the Forgotten Hope 2 system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmtsTTCrJeU

Of course, since AoS doesn't have kits like BF2, like you said, get binocs from tent or something.

If I may add on, what if artillery crews had to be in a squad together to get binocs/be able to receive targets?
MedicRoe

Postby Tarkaris » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:24 am

squading cannon crews together could prevent accidental binocular grabs. Sounds like a good idea.

As for how to fire the cannon itself, My thoughts have been something like this: The operator would use right click to get a bird's eye view of whatever area the spotter has painted. He then moves the mouse around to target a spot and does a left click.

But the operator would only have vision if there was a spotter painting something. Otherwise the cannon would be blind.
Tarkaris

Postby Articsledder » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:59 pm

The issue is this whole "painting" thing is too complex IMO. And if anything it makes it too easy when you have a spotter. The spotter should be your eyes, not just send you a picture for you to use so you could get it perfectly. A direct hit should require some math (not literally), and understanding the arc of the shell.
Articsledder

Postby bob98675 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:06 pm

wow what an amazing idea, if you joined this and the particle generator it would be so call
bob98675

Postby Tarkaris » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:44 pm

I honestly have no idea what you're wanting to do differently that would make it simple/ not so easy. The idea was to make it a teamwork asset that could add some variety to the game, nothing more.

At least it's not "build cannon, paint target, watch cannon automatically own everything." It ain't a target locator from Reach or a mortar call-in from battlefield or something.
Tarkaris

PreviousNext

Return to Game