Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Advanced Blocks

Got a great new idea for the game?

Advanced Blocks

Postby rulerofiron99 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Metal block
Colour: any shade of grey can be picked
Hit points: 5 vs bullet fire, 4 vs spade/shovel

Camo block
Colour: any
Hit points: 3
Can use the right-click feature to pick a colour.

Filler block
Colour: brown
Hit points: 1 or 2
While holding the mouse button down, blocks are placed faster.
Right click drops 2 or 3 blocks at a time.

The purpose of these different blocks is to increase tactical use of blocks, speed up large-scale construction and add more diversity and strategy to the game.
- When building a tower, you have to make a trade off between survivability and visibility.
- You can make more secure defences for your intel using metal blocks.
- You could build a metal-coloured fort using camo blocks to trick enemies to hiding behind it.
- Bridges can be built faster using filler blocks, and these quick-built bridges can likewise also be destroyed very quickly.
- You could build a "pit trap" covered with fillers and shoot it out from under an enemy's feet.
rulerofiron99

Re: Advanced Blocks

Postby MrChucklez » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:04 am

How many blocks of each type would you get?
^^^^^^^^^^^^
He's Awesome
MrChucklez

Postby Bobbunny » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:33 am

MrChucklez wrote:How many blocks of each type would you get?

Maybe they're selectable.

Although I do like the idea of a pit trap XD
Bobbunny

Postby Build » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:04 am

There was an Idea similar to this in the old forums. I believe it expanded as far as "Barbed wire" being a block option.
Each one had a different cost to your block ammo cache.

Also, I'm assuming the "Camo" block is the regular one that we have now.
... I was gone for a month and came back to a game that hadn't changed a bit.
Build

Postby rulerofiron99 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:20 am

The suggested numbers are based on the current balancing.

As has been observed, the "camo block" is the one we have now.

I think the interface will become a little too much if all of the blocks exist in your inventory at the same time, so maybe you can choose which type of block you want the same way you choose your weapon?
rulerofiron99

Postby Gorman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:26 am

I would prefer to keep the current block system, and add alternate blocks as replacements for grenades.

For example instead of selecting 3xGrenades you could select;
20 Armour blocks - which are the same as the Metal blocks you defined
10 Razor wire - which cause damage to enemies that move through them
10 Fragile blocks - which will break if stepped on
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby rulerofiron99 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:45 am

Gorman wrote:I would prefer to keep the current block system, and add alternate blocks as replacements for grenades.

For example instead of selecting 3xGrenades you could select;
20 Armour blocks - which are the same as the Metal blocks you defined
10 Razor wire - which cause damage to enemies that move through them
10 Fragile blocks - which will break if stepped on

I think that might just end up working better than what I suggested. Players would be choosing "I want to be a builder/attacker/trapper".

But how would razor and fragile blocks be coloured? Razor wire as a different model maybe? I think that fragile blocks with the same colour-changing properties as normal blocks would make a huge impact. Pit traps would make advancing painful slow. Players would have to start shooting the ground in front of them to make sure there aren't any traps.
rulerofiron99

Postby Gorman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:03 am

I imagine armour/metal blocks and razor wire to both be custom models, by default armour would be some kind of plating, and razor wire would be a model of some regular curled razor wire.

Fragile blocks would, as you said, be colour changeable as usual.

But I also want to stress that you should be able to go to you command tent, press "." and change your weapon/extra items without having to die. That way people will feel they have more flexibility
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby rulerofiron99 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:12 am

Gorman wrote:But I also want to stress that you should be able to go to you command tent, press "." and change your weapon/extra items without having to die. That way people will feel they have more flexibility

Maybe something for a different thread.

A problem I see with this is that you could run through a tunnel with a shotgun, then switch to an SMG/Rifle in the enemy base, almost making each weapon's drawbacks meaningless.

If this is implemented, it should have certain restrictions. For example, you can only change near your tent.

Gorman wrote:Fragile blocks would, as you said, be colour changeable as usual.

This scares me. Would they die to one shot? Advancing into enemy territory would be painful. Players would spend so much time looking for traps that they'd be easy targets.

Making them only 1 colour would make them a little trivial as an actual trap, but it will force enemies along paths of your choosing.
rulerofiron99

Postby Gorman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:29 am

rulerofiron99 wrote:
Gorman wrote:But I also want to stress that you should be able to go to you command tent, press "." and change your weapon/extra items without having to die. That way people will feel they have more flexibility

Maybe something for a different thread.

A problem I see with this is that you could run through a tunnel with a shotgun, then switch to an SMG/Rifle in the enemy base, almost making each weapon's drawbacks meaningless.

If this is implemented, it should have certain restrictions. For example, you can only change near your tent.

Indeed, I made a slight typo of "you" instead of "your", so yes I do agree (though I think if you are able to run across the map using shotgun all the way to enemy CP then that is impressive).

New thread created.
rulerofiron99 wrote:This scares me. Would they die to one shot? Advancing into enemy territory would be painful. Players would spend so much time looking for traps that they'd be easy targets.

Making them only 1 colour would make them a little trivial as an actual trap, but it will force enemies along paths of your choosing.

Perhaps. It's not like there would be a lot of traps - most of the ground would be safe. Besides I don't suggest razor wire dealing 100 damage, so at most it would hurt you and make you paranoid. Besides that because the fragile block would be destroyed then a player would have to go and rebuild them.

Perhaps making them break only if a player stays on them for 1 second. Therefore if you are walking across open terrain it isn't such a worry, but sneaky opponents could still build traps behind barricades where you are likely to stop and take cover, or in tunnels etc.

Yes I imagine they would die 1 shot, so SMG spray to check for traps is viable.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby rulerofiron99 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:35 am

Gorman wrote:Perhaps. It's not like there would be a lot of traps - most of the ground would be safe. Besides I don't suggest razor wire dealing 100 damage, so at most it would hurt you and make you paranoid. Besides that because the fragile block would be destroyed then a player would have to go and rebuild them.

Perhaps making them break only if a player stays on them for 1 second. Therefore if you are walking across open terrain it isn't such a worry, but sneaky opponents could still build traps behind barricades where you are likely to stop and take cover, or in tunnels etc.

Yes I imagine they would die 1 shot, so SMG spray to check for traps is viable.

In that case, it seems reasonable.

I'll update the OP some time to detail all of these blocks (with pics!)
rulerofiron99

Return to Game