Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Bullet Drop/Gravity

Got a great new idea for the game?

Bullet Drop/Gravity

Postby rulerofiron99 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:39 pm

As the title states, bullets "drop" over time, following a curved downward path instead of a straight line.

Why?
- Gives weapons an "effective range" - rifle and SMG have different bullet speeds, thus making the rifle better at getting headshots than the SMG.
- In addition, bullets shouldn't just disappear after X distance, instead only when it hits a block/player/edge of map. This will add a new dynamic to the game: "artillery" fire. A squad of SMG gunners can rain down bullets on a target area with a forward scouting player providing feedback.
- It won't make it too difficult to aim, due to the nature of mid-range combat and practical range during combat as is.
rulerofiron99

Re: Bullet Drop/Gravity

Postby Yakkers » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:04 am

Well the game currently uses hitscans and the tracer is only a visual effect, so this would be a pretty heavy overhaul to implement. This means that if you see the tracer without having already taken damage, you already know the shot missed because the collision was checked the moment the shot was fired.

I like the simplicity of hitscans, but I guess I wouldn't object to bullet ballistics being added if they were implemented successfully.
Yakkers

Postby Bobbunny » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:34 am

I think it's a wee bit too complicated for this game XD

Anyways, we use hitmarkers too. So yeh, no chance for that.
Bobbunny

Postby Gorman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:20 am

Ignoring that it is difficult (impossible?) to implement at the moment, I think it is an unnecessary complication. AoS's greatest strength is it's simplicity.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby rulerofiron99 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:32 am

Ah, I was not aware that all weapons use hitscans. I thought it was just the rifle, and that the SMG uses actual projectiles.

Gorman, you do have a strong point when bring the simplicity argument to this thread: the difference between Counter Strike 1.6 (hitscans) and Counter Strike Source (cool physics engine). The latter is STILL trying to become the "replacement" for the former. CSS uses a system which I can best describe as "spray and pray and get free easy headshots", while CS1.6's aiming and shooting style was largely similar to AoS (which is probably why I'm pretty good at AoS).

But I disagree that this will take from the game's simplicity to the point where it becomes a complicated mess. If implemented as I suggested, current aiming and shooting will be basically the same (give or take 0.1 second for bullet travel), except that it adds complexity to the game by way of new, harder to master ways of using the same content.
rulerofiron99

Postby Gorman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:38 am

Of course it will not make the game a complicated mess, but it will certainly add a lot of complexity. Players will have to learn to use mildot scopes and adjust for lead, drop, etc.

It is quite a big change, and a change in balance too! The affects on the game are numerous and widespread.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby rulerofiron99 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:42 am

Gorman wrote:Of course it will not make the game a complicated mess, but it will certainly add a lot of complexity. Players will have to learn to use mildot scopes and adjust for lead, drop, etc.

It is quite a big change, and a change in balance too! The affects on the game are numerous and widespread.

Only at longer ranges. For the SMG, this implies ranges at which you should not be using your weapon. The SMG is the medium range weapon and this will enforce it.

Rifles will still be the same within most of its range. Only the rarer shots (just running out of fog) would require that extra skill.

All in all, keeping the starting learning curve the same, while extending it to new heights for players mastering the game.
rulerofiron99

Postby Gorman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:00 am

I'm not convinced, semi's optimum engage distance IS the fog! Since semi only shoots at head then you will probably end up having to make adjustments to EVERY shot, not just the very longest range ones.

SMG usually destroys blocks at any range (but doesn't shoot people at range>80), so this would affect that too.

I'm just not sure what kind of value you envision that would cause no affect up to range (lets arbitrarily say) 100, but at 128 it has an effect that you will have to counter.

If that is the case, then why bother at all? We already have fog making fog shots harder! And spread limits SMG's effective range!
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby rulerofiron99 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:31 am

Well yes, this will change things are extreme ranges.

Here's a pic outlining how effective range would work. I know paint doesn't actually make graphs accurately describing bullet drop, but there would definitely be a difference at ranges past the effective.

The SMG as it is is quite capable of getting kills at the same range the rifle does. If you and a rifleman engage each other at that distance, they will definitely have a better chance of success, but you can also do it. The SMG shouldn't be able to do that with such ease.
rulerofiron99

Postby Gorman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:39 am

Can you put some numbers on that pic? :P If I go by scale then it is probably around 80 range which is about 60% of effective range even for rifle.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby Build » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:00 am

Why not just add the physics only to the smg?
... I was gone for a month and came back to a game that hadn't changed a bit.
Build

Postby Gorman » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:42 am

Build wrote:Why not just add the physics only to the smg?

That would be kind of strange... I don't like any "special case" type things.

It's all or nothing, no special physics on just 1 gun please.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby TBS » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:02 pm

yeah, that'd be awesome! killing is a bit too easy atm :P
TBS
Bastion Member

Postby Build » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:40 am

Gordon wrote:That would be kind of strange... I don't like any "special case" type things.

What? It seemed like a perfectly good compromise to me. I wouldn't mind getting hailed with overhead SMG fire every now and then. What do you want this game to be like? Voxel Call of Duty?
... I was gone for a month and came back to a game that hadn't changed a bit.
Build

Postby Gorman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:45 am

Build wrote:
Gordon wrote:That would be kind of strange... I don't like any "special case" type things.

What? It seemed like a perfectly good compromise to me. I wouldn't mind getting hailed with overhead SMG fire every now and then. What do you want this game to be like? Voxel Call of Duty?

How is preferring the general case systems even remotely imply that I want "Voxel Call of Duty"?

I think you are just trying to bully me in to agreeing - "Only some CoD deuce would prefer hitscans!".

Suggestions should be added pragmatically, with careful consideration as to what they add and what they remove from the game.

As it stands adding bullet physics would be most beneficial to semi gameplay, not SMG. So yes, I disagree with adding physics only to SMG, because adding physics only to 1 weapon is silly, and if anything semi needs physics not SMG.
Now I'm sorry if CoD has no physics on any gun, but I'm not saying "no physics because CoD has none". I don't even know if youare bullshitting or if CoD does have physics.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Next

Return to Game