Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Slower autoclimb

Got a great new idea for the game?

Re: Slower autoclimb

Postby rulerofiron99 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:02 pm

Let's add some arbitary numbers.

Each player has a stamina bar consisting of 50 points.
- Stamina only regenerates while you aren't moving.
- While running (default movement), you consume 2 point per block traversed.
- Jumping costs 5 points, and you can't jump if you don't have 5 stamina points.
- While climbing (running up a 1:1 hill), you consume 3 points per block.

But here's the kicker: the stamina bar isn't actually visible.
rulerofiron99

Postby Gorman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:59 pm

rulerofiron99 wrote:Let's add some arbitary numbers.

Each player has a stamina bar consisting of 50 points.
- Stamina only regenerates while you aren't moving.
- While running (default movement), you consume 2 point per block traversed.
- Jumping costs 5 points, and you can't jump if you don't have 5 stamina points.
- While climbing (running up a 1:1 hill), you consume 3 points per block.

But here's the kicker: the stamina bar isn't actually visible.

Disagree.

Why use stamina bar when we can just use acceleration/deceleration ?

Moving on flat land accelerates you at a rate of 0.5 per second to max move speed (let's call that 1.0)
Autoclimbing 1 block up decelerates you by 0.1, down to a minimum of 0.5
You now move almost full speed up a gradient with .2 of a second flat travel time, but a steeper gradient will slow you down to half speed after 5 autoclimbs.

Numbers are example and are adjustable.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby Fluttershy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:44 pm

Im going to attempt to reenter the thread without sounding like I've been lost for a good portion of the time. I'm assuming from your post gorman you mean that after 5 consecutive blocks you get to around half speed (I'm assuming this is compared to normal walking speed on flat ground)? How quickly would you speed return? like would having a slope of .5 keep you at a near constant/normal speed?
Fluttershy

Postby Gorman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:22 pm

Fluttershy wrote:Im going to attempt to reenter the thread without sounding like I've been lost for a good portion of the time. I'm assuming from your post gorman you mean that after 5 consecutive blocks you get to around half speed (I'm assuming this is compared to normal walking speed on flat ground)? How quickly would you speed return? like would having a slope of .5 keep you at a near constant/normal speed?

Indeed, if you take a look at my numbers you will se that you will return to normal speed after walking on flat ground for 1 second. Not sure how much that is in a gradient but I imagine it is probably at least 3 blocks.

Numbers would need to be adjusted to balance it.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby Monsteri » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:08 pm

Honestly why would you make this complicated system, when my suggested system is much easier to the players and to the devs?

When you're on almost zero stamina, wouldn't it be just annoying when you're trying to climb a voxel but that takes almost a second? It wouldn't even feel like climbing nor stepping, it would feel like shuffling along in mud. You shouldn't climb, you say? Well since this is automatic, it'd be quite hard to avoid. And even if you moved back, it would still take ridiculously lot of time.

It would be hellish if you had just autoclimbed a hill, but now you can't hop over a 2 voxels high wall because you have no enough stamina left, and enemy gets you. Would that add any fun, strategy or excitement?

It would be hellish if you are just averagely running and you need to stop to regain stamina.. in the middle of nothing?
Would you want to force the player to go away crouching?

And even Gorman's suggestion about acceleration/deceleration isn't as simple as it seems to be in the first glance, although it is fairly better than rulefiron's one.

slow you down to half speed after 5 autoclimbs.

So again, walking in mud.
Monsteri

Postby Gorman » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:20 pm

Monsteri wrote:Gorman's suggestion about acceleration/deceleration isn't as simple as it seems to be in the first glance

slow you down to half speed after 5 autoclimbs.

So again, walking in mud.

My system is actually just the existing system, with numbers tweaked to an exaggerated level to illustrate the extent that the system could be improved to.

If you so desired it could take 20 autoclimbs to slowly decelerate to half speed, or it could be lower capped at 75% max, or whatever else.

I am not sure as to the current numbers, but it seems like it takes less than a second to accelerate to full speed on the flat, and after 2 or 3 autoclimbs you move at a reduced speed. For jumping you can jump maybe three times before you don't have enough horizontal velocity to clear a block.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby Articsledder » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:19 am

Gorman wrote:
Articsledder wrote:I don't know what your thinking, comparing auto-climb to 8:10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_kOuw4DOYU you could have climbed that hill in 4 seconds as opposed to 20.

I would love slower autoclimb, climbing a hill with standard issue army equipment is a pain.

lol obviously if you just spam spacebar without any horizontal velocity you won't go anywhere, I'm not saying "just spam space and you go mega fast". But if you climb manually and allow yourself to accelerate to max speed in between it is faster than autoclimb. For example if there is a 1:4 gradient you will climb faster with manual because it won't slow you down as much as auto.

Jumping in Aos has a slight cool down, you can only jump maybe every .5 seconds. "Accelerate to max speed" sounds like a joke in AoS, and it is practically impossible when your on a 1x1 slope. In AoS the speed of running and the spacebar just don't time it right.

Just a personal opinion but I find it kind of annoying that you basically shoot down any suggestion that could possibly improve the game just because it makes a change. There is a fine line between ruining the game and actually changing it for the better.

Oh and good stuff Monsteri
aend tehn teh cahirs began to snip
Articsledder

Postby Spartan094 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:59 am

Not to mention people move around at a quick walk. If a sprint button was implemented, then I could see the autoclimb being turned off, but people are already moving around slow enough.
Spartan094
[LDR] Member

Postby Gorman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:00 am

Articsledder wrote:Jumping in Aos has a slight cool down, you can only jump maybe every .5 seconds. "Accelerate to max speed" sounds like a joke in AoS, and it is practically impossible when your on a 1x1 slope. In AoS the speed of running and the spacebar just don't time it right.

Just a personal opinion but I find it kind of annoying that you basically shoot down any suggestion that could possibly improve the game just because it makes a change. There is a fine line between ruining the game and actually changing it for the better.

Oh and good stuff Monsteri

Obviously you can't on 1:1 slope.. You can't on a 50:1 slope either. What is your point in saying something like that?

I shoot down any suggestion that I think is unnecessary or could be better. Why settle for a bloated over-complicated game?

I have agreed with plenty of suggestions so I don't think your criticism is valid. I am sure if someone really wants to they could adjust their suggestion to comply with my arguments and thus we would have a better simpler system. I think what you said is very rude.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby Fluttershy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:03 am

Spartan094 wrote:Not to mention people move around at a quick walk. If a sprint button was implemented, then I could see the autoclimb being turned off, but people are already moving around slow enough.

Which is why you then build and dig, to increase your traveling speed over awkward terrain such as mountains and valleys that you would just now autoclimb over at near the same speed. And im not calling for autoclimbs removal (that would be the others), merely slowing it down.
Fluttershy

Postby Fluttershy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:22 pm

After a fairly lenghty discussion on autoclimb in the IRC, im reviving this thread (bumping). Itd be great to get more opinions and whatnot.

(just to clarify, I myself am calling for simply autoclimb being slower. nothing fancy, simply a slower climb rate so people arnt zipping across the map making mountains nothing more than eye candy that blocks your view of the enemys head and actually hinder your movement. This wont affect those (Imo) bad maps like pinpoint, that one goon haven map at all, or other relatively flat maps like mesa and Normandy.)
Fluttershy

Postby Gorman » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:53 am

I concur, slower would be good, but it should not be slower than spacebar spam for 1:1 gradients.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby Fluttershy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:24 pm

Gorman wrote:I concur, slower would be good, but it should not be slower than spacebar spam for 1:1 gradients.

Around that speed yeah. The idea is to make it noticeably slow you down like jumping would pre AC, without forcing you to spam the space bar which is just retarded.
Fluttershy

Postby Monsteri » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:50 pm

If not option to remove, at least slow it down.
Not too much though. That would be very annoying.
Monsteri

Postby Gorman » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:53 am

Monsteri wrote:If not option to remove, at least slow it down.
Not too much though. That would be very annoying.

That's why we should go with deceleration when climbing rather than an arbitrary drop! If we decelerate by only a bit at a time then we can avoid having gradual gradients feel like you step in mud ;P

Well, I know I said all that already, but mainly I want to fix the current situation simply and using minor tweaks, without forcing me to spam spacebar - that just isn't fun.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

PreviousNext

Return to Game