Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Slower autoclimb

Got a great new idea for the game?

Re: Slower autoclimb

Postby Gorman » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:40 am

SnaJperME wrote:Have you played Assault cube , Cod , Soldat? All of them are Fast running shooters. So meaning you cant make a tactic and "fight with it" cause everyone just runs like mad and shoots each other in the head.

Slower Movement CS series BF series and OFP/Arma series Shoved that you must have tactic to win in this game's Cause "slower" movement is forcing players to make Tactics and Plans that they can easly realize without getting shooted by some run and gun noobs who can run / pass the whole map in 10 seconds making any tactics useless.

So if I took CoD and halved everyone's movement speed, would it magically become a pure tactical shooter?
If I double everyone's movement speed in ARMA, would it magically become a pure run and gun?

I think your logic is fatally flawed. BF/OFP/ARMA were all designed from the ground up to be tactical. Movement speed is only one small part, and I would actually say that CoD and BF have very similar movement speed - if not practically identical.
Monsteri wrote:Because dude, without autoclimb, in default map at least, you were FORCED to do shit if you wanted to survive. If greenies didn't make forts, tunnels and bridges, blues would have sniped them to the edge of ragequitting, if blues didn't make sniper holes and small forts on the edges of the mountains, greenies would've sniped them off and fleed the mountains.

Now, there is no enforcement. Greens can just run up the hills in no time, shoot everyone once they're up. Blues react to this by shooting them ofc, but now it becomes just mad killing.

Seriously Gorman even if autoclimb was removed, it wouldn't affect you very much, as you seem to like to play only on those flatty island maps.

Huh? Is this suggestion just for default maps? I don't think we should implement anything that is useful for such a tiny minority! Besides that, digging sniper holes and forts is better than no cover - no matter how fast your opponent climbs hills!

I play on a lot of different maps, though my favorite is Island... But since our clan hosts a Tribes server too I usually play there - insane mountains and such.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby Fluttershy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:49 am

Gorman wrote:Huh? Is this suggestion just for default maps? I don't think we should implement anything that is useful for such a tiny minority! Besides that, digging sniper holes and forts is better than no cover - no matter how fast your opponent climbs hills!

I play on a lot of different maps, though my favorite is Island... But since our clan hosts a Tribes server too I usually play there - insane mountains and such.

This isnt exclusive to gen maps, its to all gen like maps, where you can actually build and dig in (almost all of JoJoes maps are a good example of a non gen map thats heavily influenced by autoclimb). Although, how much it affects gameplay veries between maps, it isnt going to do shit for maps like island or pinpoint. However, its not a problem on those servers anyways, as this is a problem that mostly affects the aforementioned gen like maps.

While you mention forts and sniper holes, how useful they are decrease by a lot on the maps where autoclimb would be used extensivly. Theyll become more useful should it be slowed down.
Fluttershy

Postby Monsteri » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:58 am

As the yellow pony said, it's for every map where it's actually possible to do stuff.
If you don't even play on these maps regularly, why do you even care to resist autoclimb's enslowing / removal?
Monsteri

Postby Gorman » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:40 pm

Fluttershy wrote:This isnt exclusive to gen maps, its to all gen like maps, where you can actually build and dig in (almost all of JoJoes maps are a good example of a non gen map thats heavily influenced by autoclimb). Although, how much it affects gameplay veries between maps, it isnt going to do shit for maps like island or pinpoint. However, its not a problem on those servers anyways, as this is a problem that mostly affects the aforementioned gen like maps.

While you mention forts and sniper holes, how useful they are decrease by a lot on the maps where autoclimb would be used extensivly. Theyll become more useful should it be slowed down.

Of course they will become more useful. SMG would be more useful if it shot grenades too!

Monsteri wrote:As the yellow pony said, it's for every map where it's actually possible to do stuff.
If you don't even play on these maps regularly, why do you even care to resist autoclimb's enslowing / removal?

I said I mostly play on tribes maps and such, which are clearly very much affected by this. And all maps are affected by requiring me to spam spacebar just to climb a few blocks. I don't consider it fun to have to spam spacebar in order to walk up a few steps...
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby Monsteri » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:33 pm

You don't spam spacebar to walk up a few steps, you press it twice.

If there is a mountain, don't climb that if you are not eager to ''spam space'', dig a tunnel through it or go around.
Monsteri

Postby Gorman » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:11 pm

It's not a case of "don't do it if you don't want to", I am definitely going to have to climb stairs or mountains ingame, there are no 'if's or 'but's about it, it is inevitable.

I do not want to play a game that relies on doing an annoying and repetitive action like this.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby SIMOX » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:30 pm

Gorman, have you played any game version before auto-climb was added? Cuz I had no problems "spamming" space to climb. Many severs were hosting gen maps before these flatish maps took over.

And it's even more annoying when you walking in 2 blocks deep trench and suddenly step on 1 block deep side. And that - look down to fall into 1 block wide trench not glide over it. It's actually kinda weird how minecraft don't have an auto-climb huh? [sarcasm]It's such a nice feature.[/sarcasm]

But seriously if you don't want to do repetitive actions, why bother clicking your mouse then?
My all mods are Here. My first map is Here
Plays Ace of Spades since 2011 April 11 [0.21]
SIMOX

Postby Fluttershy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:10 pm

Gorman wrote:Of course they will become more useful. SMG would be more useful if it shot grenades too!

I said I mostly play on tribes maps and such, which are clearly very much affected by this. And all maps are affected by requiring me to spam spacebar just to climb a few blocks. I don't consider it fun to have to spam spacebar in order to walk up a few steps...

Am I being unreasonable with my request? Im simply asking for autoclimb being slower slightly, not completely removing it. You wont have to spam space at all, which was the point of what Im asking. In that itll be as or close to as slow as it was before, but you wont have to spam space.

@Simox, minecraft has staircases and slabs, which are examples of autoclimb like features in minecraft, theyre fairly inefficient to make, but it shows that people like autoclimb in minecraft because they still make them.
Fluttershy

Postby Tigershield » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:23 am

I dont mind pressing the ''space button'' millions of time.

The game was fine whitout auto-climb. Now the game is fine too.But i prefer the old slow tactical version of AOS. Where construction matters. And i know that aut-climb wont be removed, but make it atleast slower or remove it. Or make it server sided.

Before auto-climb, you actual needed to think about your next step. Now it''s mindless run and gun gameplay.

Anyway I really love the game and the hard work, what the developer(s) do.And it's his game.But please listen to your comunity for just one second.

Auto-climb is the worst update.

Just my useless coment.
slow is smooth, smooth is fast
Tigershield

Postby Gorman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:50 am

SIMOX wrote:It's actually kinda weird how minecraft don't have an auto-climb huh? [sarcasm]It's such a nice feature.[/sarcasm]

girlslaunghing.jpg

Minecraft does have auto-climb... And I am yet to meet a Minecraft player who doesn't use it...
Fluttershy wrote:Am I being unreasonable with my request? Im simply asking for autoclimb being slower slightly, not completely removing it. You wont have to spam space at all, which was the point of what Im asking. In that itll be as or close to as slow as it was before, but you wont have to spam space.

Others are asking for complete removal of auto-climb, I am happy with slowing it down (read my previous posts in the thread).
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby Monsteri » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:03 am

Shush you, I am asking for a server-side option, complete removal, or at least slowing it down. Hasn't it become clear from my previous comments? You just grabbed completely to the word ''remove''.

Please do read my posts completely.
Monsteri

Postby Gorman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:45 am

Simox was clearly asking for complete removal...

Slow is fine though, can't we at least agree on that?
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby Tydosius » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:44 am

slower autoclimb isn't a good idea. something we find fun about most games is getting around quickly. and lets face it.
it's just at the bottom of the spectrum of fun to have to crawl across a map just to get to the fun part. and in a game where you could be killed very quickly, that means the 'fun part' is very short and so not worth trying to get to.

did i just start having a go at short battles? yes i did!

but still. i like jumping up 2 blocks (like i never did in minecraft) and it adds flexibility too.

try thinking of something you get frustrated with. and post that instead

Final Thought:
i disapprove
Tydosius

Postby SIMOX » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Gorman wrote:Minecraft does have auto-climb... And I am yet to meet a Minecraft player who doesn't use it...

First of all i don't play minecraft since it lacks action. And second, I was referring to normal minecraft blocks not half-steps/or stair blocks.
My all mods are Here. My first map is Here
Plays Ace of Spades since 2011 April 11 [0.21]
SIMOX

Postby Gorman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:22 pm

SIMOX wrote:
Gorman wrote:Minecraft does have auto-climb... And I am yet to meet a Minecraft player who doesn't use it...

First of all i don't play minecraft since it lacks action. And second, I was referring to normal minecraft blocks not half-steps/or stair blocks.

So why use something that you don't know about as an example..? Why slap on a little insult to Minecraft by saying it 'lacks action' (that wasn't really necessary was it?)? And it does have auto-climb, but not in all situations, AoS doesn't have it in all situations either...

FYI AoS blocks are 66% of the size of Minecraft blocks.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

PreviousNext

Return to Game