Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Slower autoclimb

Got a great new idea for the game?

Slower autoclimb

Postby Fluttershy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:45 am

Exactly what the title states. As it is, there's little reason to flatten the landscape or build bridges or anything of that nature to speed up travel to your advantage. auto climb is nice yes, but its also just as fast as walking on flat land (ok maybe not, but the difference right now is incredibly negligible and almost nonexistant) which is a problem. What are your thoughts on this?
Fluttershy

Re: Slower autoclimb

Postby Gorman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:42 am

Fluttershy wrote:Exactly what the title states. As it is, there's little reason to flatten the landscape or build bridges or anything of that nature to speed up travel to your advantage. auto climb is nice yes, but its also just as fast as walking on flat land (ok maybe not, but the difference right now is incredibly negligible and almost nonexistant) which is a problem. What are your thoughts on this?

Its a fair bit slower already, it's even slower than manually jumping.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby MrChucklez » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:45 pm

I don't think its slower than manually jumping, but i think it's fair. One simple hill could slow a team down drastically if autoclimb speed is slowed down, and i think would make some sides unfair.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
He's Awesome
MrChucklez

Postby TheGeekZeke101 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:47 pm

This was added for those gen maps. I don't think this would help keeping them alive.

Retired Member Missing In Action As Of 7/26/12
TheGeekZeke101

Postby SnaJperME » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Yep maybe slower its to fast for sure now anyway before 0.70 players moved drastically slower trough water now they go so fast trough it that bridges start to be useless-
SnaJperME

Postby USABxBOOYO » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:55 pm

Water movement speed has been the same forever.
USABxBOOYO
Global Moderator

Postby SnaJperME » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:05 pm

Hm... i tough its faster now anyway Water movements at least 2x even 3x slower cause in WW2 the biggest problem for US troops were Rivers.
Auto-climb ah maybe a bit like 1.5x slower
SnaJperME

Postby Articsledder » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:31 pm

Gorman wrote:
Fluttershy wrote:Exactly what the title states. As it is, there's little reason to flatten the landscape or build bridges or anything of that nature to speed up travel to your advantage. auto climb is nice yes, but its also just as fast as walking on flat land (ok maybe not, but the difference right now is incredibly negligible and almost nonexistant) which is a problem. What are your thoughts on this?

Its a fair bit slower already, it's even slower than manually jumping.

I don't know what your thinking, comparing auto-climb to 8:10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_kOuw4DOYU you could have climbed that hill in 4 seconds as opposed to 20.

I would love slower autoclimb, climbing a hill with standard issue army equipment is a pain.
aend tehn teh cahirs began to snip
Articsledder

Postby CalenLoki » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:05 pm

I agree on autoclimb speed reduction - just to make terrain shape more important.
Same for slower speed in water (and removal of water stopping bullets)
In pace leones, in bello cervi
CalenLoki

Postby Gorman » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:00 am

Articsledder wrote:I don't know what your thinking, comparing auto-climb to 8:10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_kOuw4DOYU you could have climbed that hill in 4 seconds as opposed to 20.

I would love slower autoclimb, climbing a hill with standard issue army equipment is a pain.

lol obviously if you just spam spacebar without any horizontal velocity you won't go anywhere, I'm not saying "just spam space and you go mega fast". But if you climb manually and allow yourself to accelerate to max speed in between it is faster than autoclimb. For example if there is a 1:4 gradient you will climb faster with manual because it won't slow you down as much as auto.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby Monsteri » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:17 pm

I think I had an idea.

So basically you would not have to jump a ledge up which is one voxel high, and it has got two voxels or more length before the next ledge. You would be autoclimbed, like this:

But when there are multiple one voxel high ledges in a row, you would have to spam (or hold) space button, like this:

You would maybe think that this is confusing, but it really isn't, since it's a common knowledge that climbing a steep hills is harder and slower than a shallow hill.

Sure newbies could be like ''wtf!!'' like in the days of space+ctrl water jumping, but this is easy to learn.

It would also bring some of the tactical aspect of the game back, forcing you to make some decisions about your movements, stairs (<also stairs will be very easy to build in the new update) and bridges would get some of their importancy back, dying would be some of a punishment again, etc etc.

I really really wish this will happen.
Monsteri

Postby SnaJperME » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:29 pm

@Monsteri wow thats nice i would like it so
SnaJperME

Postby Gorman » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:50 pm

@Monsteri; what's the point? Right now if the player walks up the first example they will move at nearly full speed (if I remember correctly you need a gradient of 1:3 to walk full speed up), if they move the second one then they will be significantly slowed. So why not just keep it the same as it is now, rather than having special cases?
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby Monsteri » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:20 pm

Gorman wrote:@Monsteri; what's the point? Right now if the player walks up the first example they will move at nearly full speed (if I remember correctly you need a gradient of 1:3 to walk full speed up), if they move the second one then they will be significantly slowed. So why not just keep it the same as it is now, rather than having special cases?

Because I think you should not be able to just simply run & gun everywhere, moving around is too fast right now.
And if autoclimb was overall slower, it would be annoying, it would feel like you were walking in mud.

Not to mention that when you're running up a hill, making space & ctrl combo, looking around you for the case there are enemies, it FEELS like you are climbing.

This would also create a good differentation between valley sort of areas, and high mountainy areas. You know, the feel of the game made it unique in the first place.
Monsteri

Postby Gorman » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:24 pm

Monsteri wrote:Because I think you should not be able to just simply run & gun everywhere, moving around is too fast right now.
And if autoclimb was overall slower, it would be annoying, it would feel like you were walking in mud.

Not to mention that when you're running up a hill, making space & ctrl combo, looking around you for the case there are enemies, it FEELS like you are climbing.

This would also create a good differentation between valley sort of areas, and high mountainy areas. You know, the feel of the game made it unique in the first place.

Mountains have 2 high steps, that's when you need to make space & ctrl combo! 1:1 gradient's shouldn't feel like a mountain, because they aren't! So we already have this distinction.

And how would your system work in the case of diagonals? If I am walking at a 45 degree angle to the stairs then surely that is enough to get autoclimb! Is it possible to make such detections? Is it feasible?
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Next

Return to Game