Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

[TOOL/WEBSITE]AoSGamer - AoS Social Network

All third party apps for AoS.

[TOOL/WEBSITE]AoSGamer - AoS Social Network

Postby Dom » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:00 pm

Hi,

AoSGamer is a website I've created initially for my own benefits (to learn some new stuff) but I think some other people might like it.

It's a server browser with social networking features such as friends, who's online, who's playing where, which servers have how many of your friends on, forums etc.

It's still under development and there's loads of other features I'd like to add.

Feel free to check it out:

http://dev.aosgamer.net

Thanks

Dom.
Dom

Re: [TOOL/WEBSITE]AoSGamer - AoS Social Network

Postby USABxBOOYO » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:00 pm

I messed up my password and now my name is taken and I can't log in. The registration system is extremely flawed and is just waiting for someone to come and make thousands of spam accounts.
USABxBOOYO
Global Moderator

Postby Dom » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:09 pm

And this is why it's under development:D

Thanks for the input, I've deleted your account so you can recreate it now.

It was my intention to put reCAPTCHA in as part of the registration process at some point + email validation.

Could you elaborate a bit more on the flaws in the registration system (e.g. what lead to you messing it up?) And I can fix it. This is a learning process for me - I massively appreciate your help:)

Thanks again for checking it out.
Dom

Postby USABxBOOYO » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:42 am

It doesn't ask you to confirm your password. Therefore, if you mess up your password while you're typing it in when you're registering, you won't be able to log in.
USABxBOOYO
Global Moderator

Postby Dom » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:00 am

Good point!

I shall put that in tomorrow morning:) thanks for pointing it out. It's one of those many things that if you've been looking at it for too long, you gloss over some glaring omissions such as that. Cheers!

Dom.
Dom

Postby Venets » Tue May 01, 2012 9:11 pm

Tried it out. Takes a long time for the POST method to complete its request.
Not a very nice design on the forums.
Not that good.
Venets
Banned

Postby Dom » Wed May 02, 2012 12:48 pm

Yeah, the post request takes a while because it redirects to the dashboard. When the dashboard loads, it has to retrieve the server list from the AoS website. I've been considering caching it (it already does, it just refreshes it every time the page loads) but it wont make that much difference unless more people use it. I'll make the retrieving of the server list asynchronous, but this will either result in an outdated server list the first time you look (the out of dateness will lessen with more users) or only a section of the page loads slowly. The issue really is the fact that it's having to get a resource from a different server.

Also, as for the forum design, as pointed out in the first post in the forum, I'm not a designer. That forum design is the default design for that forum plugin with a few small tweaks to fit it within the rest of the site. If you think you can implement a better design, you're more than welcome to, and I can put it on there :)

Thanks again for trying it, and the feedback is greatly appreciated. I'll try address the issues you raised over the weekend (girlfriend is down at the moment so I'm not allowed to do geek stuff:( ) If someone does want to help out with the design, let me know and I'd be more than happy to let you. The site is actually on a private git repository and made with cakePHP (a reasonably sturdy MVC framework) so making it collaboration friendly shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks again,

Dom.
Dom

Postby Venets » Wed May 02, 2012 1:21 pm

Dom wrote:Yeah, the post request takes a while because it redirects to the dashboard. When the dashboard loads, it has to retrieve the server list from the AoS website. I've been considering caching it (it already does, it just refreshes it every time the page loads) but it wont make that much difference unless more people use it. I'll make the retrieving of the server list asynchronous, but this will either result in an outdated server list the first time you look (the out of dateness will lessen with more users) or only a section of the page loads slowly. The issue really is the fact that it's having to get a resource from a different server.

Also, as for the forum design, as pointed out in the first post in the forum, I'm not a designer. That forum design is the default design for that forum plugin with a few small tweaks to fit it within the rest of the site. If you think you can implement a better design, you're more than welcome to, and I can put it on there :)

Thanks again for trying it, and the feedback is greatly appreciated. I'll try address the issues you raised over the weekend (girlfriend is down at the moment so I'm not allowed to do geek stuff:( ) If someone does want to help out with the design, let me know and I'd be more than happy to let you. The site is actually on a private git repository and made with cakePHP (a reasonably sturdy MVC framework) so making it collaboration friendly shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks again,

Dom.

May i apply for admin or moderator. I was the first to sign up.
Also i will help you make the forum better.
ATM it's not really like a social community but just a forum..
Venets
Banned

Postby Dom » Fri May 04, 2012 2:19 pm

Hmmm I'm not so sure - does anyone know why Vennets was banned? I saw in another post he opened a duplicate account after having his previous one banned. So does anyone know why his previous account was banned?

Looks like I may need a moderator at some point - there was some pretty comical spam/abuse/attempted impersonations on there this morning. Although I'm not sure it should be someone that is banned from these forums!

I suppose it gives me an incentive to implements some real security on there:)
Dom

Postby USABxBOOYO » Fri May 04, 2012 2:20 pm

Vennets was LinktersHD, which is why he was banned.
USABxBOOYO
Global Moderator

Postby Arctic » Fri May 04, 2012 4:47 pm

Seems like a site with a good idea But a bit flawed execution. Porobably going to use this!
Arctic

Postby Dom » Fri May 04, 2012 8:58 pm

Hi,

cheers BOOYO, I think you missed my point, I'm aware this account was banned for being a duplicate of a banned account, but I was wondering why his original account was banned. Space101 suggested he'd been aimbotting a few times, so I highly doubt I'll allow him any position of authority on AoSGamer

@Arctic - cheers for looking at it. I look forward to seeing you around on it. Can you please elaborate a bit on the flawed execution, anything in particular I could do to improve it (other than some spam protection stuff which I'm working on as we speak!!:) )

Thanks again for the feedback and having a look:)

Thanks,

Dom.
Dom

Postby USABxBOOYO » Sat May 05, 2012 3:16 am

Linkters was originally banned for quite a few things, I really don't think it would be easy to pinpoint one reason seeing as he pulled such a gargantuan amount of crap that got him banned.
USABxBOOYO
Global Moderator

Postby mikuli » Sat May 05, 2012 10:51 pm

Giving a HTTP error 500 when trying to register an account. You might want to add exception handling and custom fail messages - whatever they're called.
Blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne
Join me in Tribes: Ascend! IGN: Mikuli
mikuli
Retired Staff Member

Postby LASTofS » Sun May 06, 2012 3:06 am

Sounds like a great concept. I'm just trying to get my password to work..

EDIT:
Note: This thread has been featured in the AoS Newsletter!
http://ace-spades.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=8531&p=101305#p101305
Last edited by LASTofS on Wed May 16, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
Join the [LoS] (last of spades) clan here | my greatest contribution: Image icon on openGL client
LASTofS
News Reporter

Next

Return to Tools/Utilities