Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Game Thread Guide

Talk about other games you know of - introduce them to the community!

Game Thread Guide

Postby USABxGUNSLINGER » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:15 pm

Here's a handy-dandy guide I made for making new game threads.

Step One: Search to make sure that the game you're making a thread for doesn't already have a thread.

Step Two: If your game doesn't have a thread, go to the game's website/wiki page, and gather all the information you need to make the thread. Make sure to list all the details you can find, even if you think they're boring, as they might be important/interesting to the other people that read your thread.

Step Three: Use the template I made, or make your own, and sort out all your information, in an easy-to-read fashion (people will be more interested in your thread if you organize it correctly. Make sure you go into as much detail as you can, for before stated reasons.

Step Four: Go through a final review of your page, and make sure it looks all nice and pretty. Preview the thread so you're absolutely sure it's good, and then...

Step Five:Post it

Good Example:

Doctor wrote:Cubeworld is a game being developed by a dude named Wollay. The game concept is pretty simple, from what I've seen it honestly reminds me a little of Zelda, but I wouldn't really want to play that card given the fact that people can relate Minecraft to a box, but anywhooooooo, here is some info about this awesome not yet released game!

Neat little video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2LO1n2F25M

As seen in the trailer, the current features are confirmed:
massive boss battles,
weapon and armor customization,
open world exploration,
building features (See houses and castles),
Combat moves and animations with movement incorporated in,
Destructible environments (As seen in boss fights when they swing)
basically everything Terraria and Minecraft can do and more.
First and third person modes
Terrain interaction (Climbing sheer cliffs)

Possible features from blog/FAQ/ect
A pet system,
Will work as a classed based system featuring things like archer, mage, ect

I'll post more information as I work on the OP, stay tuned, this game honestly looks like it will blow both above games out of the water. Especially since Notch has basically abandoned the MC community to infrequent cat pet updates.

Here is a link to his blog, it has plenty of information, links, and screenshots + videos.
http://wollay.blogspot.com/

Code: Select all
Here is the current FAQ from his blog, he mentions some of his plans gameplay-wise:
Q: When will Cube World be released?
A: I'm currently tuning and fixing everything but I don't know how long it will take and can't estimate a release date.

Q: How many persons are working on this game?
A: Just me. I started this as a small hobby project in June 2011.

Q: Can I help with programming, graphics, sound, music etc?
A: Thanks, but I want to do everything by myself.

Q: Which platforms are supported?
A: Currently just Windows PC. Mac support is planned in the future.

Q: Which games inspired you?
A:
- Minecraft: Endless random world made up of blocks
- Zelda, Secret of Mana, Landstalker, Monster Hunter and more: Style, gameplay, overall feel
- Diablo, World of Warcraft: RPG elements
- And many more

Q: Which features do you still want to add?
A:
- Player customization: I'm planning to add player customization whith different faces, hair styles etc.
- Classes: I'm planning to add a mage class next and more classes in the future
- Different playable races
- Quests: A variety of different quests
- Items: Different weapons, armor and other items
- Building: Different blueprints and materials
- Weapon/Armor upgrading system
- Different pets

Q: Is there multiplayer support?
A: Yes, you can do everything in the game cooperatively with friends. I can't say anything about maximum players per server because it still needs to be optimized and tested.

Q: Will you add mining/building/crafting?
A:
- I'm not planning to add mining or digging.
- House building is supported.
- I will probably add a crafting system that allows you to craft weapons and armor from loot dropped by monsters.

Q: How do you create this game?
A: I've programmed everything with C++ and DirectX (OpenGL for the first version). For the voxel sprites, I created my own voxel editor.

Q: Will the final game still be called "Cube World"?
A: Probably not. It's currently just the project name. I'll have to come up with a new name soon.

Thread from Facepunch *

Bad Example:

Steve wrote:you guys should try this game! its so fun its got guns armor swordz an stuff its aawesom! Goto http://www.gamegamethingy.comm and tery itits so fun!

Template:

Code: Select all
[i]Game Title:[/i]

[i]Game Description:[/i]

[i]Platforms/Supported OS's:[/i]

[i]Price:[/i]

[i]System Requirements (If A Computer Game):[/i]
USABxGUNSLINGER
[USAB] Member

Return to Gaming