Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Arma 2

Talk about other games you know of - introduce them to the community!

Arma 2

Postby Stiivais » Wed May 02, 2012 1:46 pm

Okay guys, there is this awesome game by BIS (Bohemia Interactive Studios), called Arma2.
Basically it is one of the most awesome military games in the world, at least imo. Better than bf and all of the other games.
So, lets play a game. You go into youtube, type in arma2, watch some videos and post the one you think is the best here.
Also, discuss the game.

Here are some good starters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRrUhN-M ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8iBwj6d ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Lg0NEF ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tECEzKwq ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTyIHuDmAXE
^ these videos show the community messing around on mp,
you are free to post some of the more TACTICAL PWNAGE videos too, they're welcome!
Also: shutting up because i have caused some annoyances lately.
Stiivais

Re: Arma 2

Postby Wafflez » Wed May 02, 2012 1:59 pm

It's more of a simulation rather than a game.
Wafflez
[LDR] Member

Postby Stiivais » Wed May 02, 2012 4:22 pm

Wafflez wrote:It's more of a simulation rather than a game.

Does this make it any less fun than it is?
I mean, which other application allows you to have cows with miniguns on tanks in planes under water while nuclear blasts are going off? Well, maybe not that radical, but still...
...isn't it one of the most satisfying games (simulators?) you have played?
Stiivais

Postby MrMeow » Thu May 03, 2012 1:50 am

I'd get it but, By the looks of it my computer would hate the game and me for downloading it.

Edit: 5 hour download?
Hahahahahahahahaha,
No.
ImageImage

<@StackOverflow> lets not get frisky here

On a boat for 1 week.
MrMeow

Postby Stiivais » Thu May 03, 2012 12:55 pm

MrMeow wrote:I'd get it but, By the looks of it my computer would hate the game and me for downloading it.

Edit: 5 hour download?
Hahahahahahahahaha,
No.

have you tried arna2:free? (or did you speak of downloading it, instead of tpb?)...
about half the size and a bit lower graphics but with mp support (unlike tpb version). it has some downsides, like no campaign and mods but it still is great.
Stiivais

Postby kmaj » Thu May 03, 2012 3:23 pm

Is this one of the pay-to-win games?
EDIT: I just tried it and singleplayer is fine, however when I tried to join a multiplayer game my PC restarted itself.
kmaj
[FF] Leader

Postby MrMeow » Fri May 04, 2012 4:38 am

I was downloading Arma2 free from the site.
ImageImage

<@StackOverflow> lets not get frisky here

On a boat for 1 week.
MrMeow

Postby MegaDeuce » Fri May 04, 2012 5:11 am

I bought that game, played it for about a week and a half, and never touched it again.

Made everything waaaaay to hard, and punished you for playing it. Like the polar opposite of AoS.
MegaDeuce

Postby Stiivais » Fri May 04, 2012 1:37 pm

kmaj wrote:Is this one of the pay-to-win games?
EDIT: I just tried it and singleplayer is fine, however when I tried to join a multiplayer game my PC restarted itself.

No, there are no cash items, no bonuses cash gives you whatsoever, except for campaign and mod support.
Arma 2:free is exactly what the name suggests, free. But there are limitations, you cant join servers with mods or the expansion pack required and as i said, the graphics are lower, but other than that, you can play community-made missions and make your own in the editor.

I think that they released it as a promotion for upcoming Arma3.
Stiivais

Postby Stiivais » Fri May 04, 2012 1:54 pm

MegaDeuce wrote:I bought that game, played it for about a week and a half, and never touched it again.

Made everything waaaaay to hard, and punished you for playing it. Like the polar opposite of AoS.

I somewhat agree. It can be hard and frustrating at times, even if you know what you are doing, but noone said that was is supposed to be easy. :P
Still, flying an ac130 above the AO (area of operation - the capturable town in Domination gamemode) while taking fire from russian shilkas, paradropping a tank, after that crashing into Su25 (enemy jet) and making a last minute getaway with a parachute is quite pleasing. Well, it wont happen too often, but the immersion cannot be replicated in any other game.

Long story incommiiiiing (proof of awesomeness in random MP games): I was once flying a blackhawk (in MP, playing on 82nd division clan server, domination gamemode), loaded with 5 troops, to repair and recover another ditched chooper near enemy outpost. We took AA fire from the forest and barely made it alive. The chopper was damaged, so i had to do a rotary landing, but as we touched down and disembarked from the smoking chopper we took supressing fire from enemies who rallied to us (clever russians :P).
2 guys got knocked out, i was injured, but together with our machine gunner covered the medic while he fixed them up. Luckily there were no tanks, so we proceeded to the other chopper and split into 2 squads. I took the damaged one (fixed up a bit, since one of the 2 guys was an engineer) and headed back to base to pick up soldiers and take them to AO. I was en route to AO with a loaded chopper when i got to know the other chopper didnt make it. I dropped the guys off in a little forest clearing 300m from the AO and flied around it with my mg gunner supressing them. But when we captured the ao, then there was a new town, so troops got picked up by an MV22 Osprey (the VTOL) and remaining were picked up by me. The osprey lifted off and was gone quickly, but i wasnt so lucky. As i was flying away, about 4km from ao, we got shot down (that happens a lot, if you fly low). Most of us survived, but the chopper was COMPLETELY destroyed (ball of fire)... While taking fire from those bastards, we called for the osprey. It was unable to land vertically because of constant fire, but it found a patch of land and barely made a straightforward landing (about 200m runway, with trees on it, bushes covering it for the most part :/). We all rushed to it, 2 guys were shot, but i made it. The osprey took off and dropped us off at base.
Seeing it land on that little stretch of land was really awesome, i thought as i entered the chopper.
I lifted off, and my connection broke midair. When i tried to reconnect to the server, i found out that i was banned for a day. ^^
Stiivais

Postby Wafflez » Fri May 04, 2012 4:55 pm

So I gave it a test run on my new PC yesterday. Was able to max all the video settings. Snipers are so useful when you can see the full view distance on that game.
Wafflez
[LDR] Member

Postby MrHaaaaaaxFF » Fri May 04, 2012 4:56 pm

Hope my toaster can play it...
Installing. Torrents are fast! :D
Here's a touchin' story for ya: Once upon a time, you died and i live forever happily ever after. The end. Now go to hell.
MrHaaaaaaxFF
[FF] Leader

Location: Tellin' a touchin' story, description, AoS forums. Also, Vietnam.

Postby bman7 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:53 am

I tried the free one and it's very fun, I played it for almost an hour and it seemed like 15 minutes. All I really did was the mission editor, adding tons of planes flying over head, having tanks fight, shooting civilians and chickens...

The AI is glitchy though. For whatever reason only 2 planes didn't fall straight to the ground and explode, I had to be the driver of a tank for any other tanks to do anything, and planes went right through me.
bman7

Postby ChaosTLW » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:56 am

My computer can't run it *okay*

Duck you with a griller, Stiivais, now I feel devastated because I can't play such an amazing game ;_;
#1 most active member

We are here because the Universe offers conditions so life can evolve,to the point where(at least one)species,in a small planet around a star lost between millions of galaxies,is able to ask itself:What was my origin? (M. Gleiser)
ChaosTLW

Return to Gaming