Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Soldat - Possibly the greatest 2D shooter ever made.

Talk about other games you know of - introduce them to the community!

Soldat - Possibly the greatest 2D shooter ever made.

Postby Frostified » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:37 am

In Soldat, the player controls a small customizable soldier who possesses jet boots. These boots allow the soldier to fly for a relatively short time, before needing to automatically regenerate their fuel. The amount of flying possible at a time, and fuel regeneration rate, both depend on individual maps. The game is normally played over the Internet or a LAN, but it is possible to play offline against bots. There are a variety of game modes to choose from, ranging from the popular free-for-all (DeathMatch, RamboMatch, and PointMatch) to the team-based (Capture the Flag; Infiltration, TeamMatch, and Hold the Flag). In some modes holding or defending a flag is the primary goal, where in others it is simply to obtain the most frags, with minor objectives (for example, PointMatch sports a yellow flag which doubles its bearer's points). The most popular game modes are Capture the Flag and DeathMatch.

For all game modes, the basic objective is to kill enemy players. Upon spawning, the player is presented with a large arsenal of weapons to choose from. A few frag grenades are also supplied by default and more can picked up from boxes found on the ground ("GrenadeKits," respectively). Jet boots are used to move around the map, which typically consists of 2-3 levels/floors, or disorganized, floating boulders. Some servers enable temporary-lasting power-ups that grant multiplied damage (Berserker), invisibility (Predator), a flamethrower along with temporary invincibility (FlameGod), or Cluster Grenades (which temporarily replace regular grenades with three of more powerful, modified versions) or even a Bulletproof Vest (effectiveness of the vest depends on the distance from the firer of the bullet, and the vest slowly decreases as it soaks up damage, disappearing after absorbing a certain amount of damage, though there is no time limit). Health crates (known in the game as "Medikits") are available in many locations for healing injury back to 100% no matter how much a player is injured. Upon death and after waiting for a server-specified amount of time (on average 5 seconds), players respawn and may choose another weapon—this cycle repeats for the duration of the map, unless Survival Mode is enabled (in which case a spawning system similar to Counter-Strike is used). After a certain allotted time (on average 15 or 20 minutes), the map changes and scores are reset as players continue in another round. Players can chat with each other throughout matches (and to their own teams, for cooperative team-based game modes).

Most games are fast-paced and chaotic. Bodies often explode in a spectacle of blood and body parts, sometimes being hurled clear across the map. Besides its ragdoll physics, the game's engine, written in the Borland Delphi programming language, employs realistic concepts such as momentum and gravity. Fall damage and recoil are also taken into account when Realistic Mode is enabled, and supply crates, dropped weapons, and grenades realistically tumble down steep hills; another effect is the flag's realistic waving as a player runs with it.

Weapons

There are ten primary weapons and four secondary weapons to choose from. A total of any two weapons may be held at any given time. Players can drop their current weapon and pick up others from defeated enemies. It is also possible to create server-specific weapon mods.

Soldat aims to balance every weapon so that no one weapon is better than the rest of the usable weaons while each gun maintains its' individuality. The choice is largely dependent on the type of map, preferred tactics and weapons choice of the players' enemies.

Many people on these forums have heard of soldat already, it is largely customizeable with mods, and you can make your own maps. If you want to be a premium member (although, there isn't much need) then you pay the small sum of £10.00.

Links:
http://soldat.thd.vg/en/ <- Homepage
<Grandy> Just wanted to say I hate you all
<StackOverflow> rambo famous is like being nicki minaj famous
<StackOverflow> you haven't really accomplished anything and everybody laughs at you
Frostified

Re: Soldat - Possibly the greatest 2D shooter ever made.

Postby LASTofS » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:32 am

I have yet to try this game out. Posting here as a reminder.
ImageImageImage
Join the [LoS] (last of spades) clan here | my greatest contribution: Image icon on openGL client
LASTofS
News Reporter

Postby Priok » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:45 am

it's a pretty cool game, I haven't played it in a long time. I mainly played Trenchwars and sometimes CTF or R/S, but I was not very good at this game, it was fun though.
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=3112 - my mods
Ace of Spades leader board rank: 1
Priok

Postby TheSifodias » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:56 am

Will try out.
A leader, a sniper, a creator...
an admin, and a loyal clan member of USAB.

TheSifodias
[USAB] Member

Postby mcape6 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:44 am

I usually edit the shot gun pellets to go out at 5000 kph and that pretty much f***** people over

"don't believe every quote you see on the internet" Abraham lincoln
mcape6

Postby Frostified » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:12 am

mcape6 wrote:I usually edit the shot gun pellets to go out at 5000 kph and that pretty much f***** people over

How do you do that? lol.
<StackOverflow> you haven't really accomplished anything and everybody laughs at you
Frostified

Postby TheGrandmaster » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:49 am

Best game. Had me playing this on and off for 7 years. Still do play it on and off.
IGN: TheGrandmaster or <@tGM~wiki> | #AoS: IRC channel
<@mikuli> the bad part in this plan is that it involves an already busy tea-drinking scone chomper with a monocle
Latest AoS video: here
TheGrandmaster
Site Admin

Postby rensdragonlord » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:44 am

I would like to play this game, but sadly, I can't. Due to my computer's graphics card sucks ass.
ImageImage
rensdragonlord

Postby Frostified » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:53 am

rensdragonlord wrote:I would like to play this game, but sadly, I can't. Due to my computer's graphics card sucks ass.

It could run on my 900Mhz, 20GB storage space, 215MB ram and Crappy intel graphics card computer.
Frostified

Return to Gaming