Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Admins, stop being parents!

Got an idea for this forum? Discuss it here.

Admins, stop being parents!

Postby iamninja28 » Fri May 18, 2012 2:10 pm

The "new" forum rules have made me look like a piece of (blocked because of new rule). The new rules and new "feelings" the admins have towards them is kinda getting on my nerves, SLoW just hands warning out like candy now, i got one for warning a player of him insulting me (cuz thats against the rules too now) and that people are getting banned for insulting, but theres entire threads for insults. The new rules need a reform, take away the parenting aspect, and apply a forum age limit that keeps people under 13 away from the forums or something. IM SICK OF GETTING WARNINGS FOR STUPID (blocked because of new rule)! THIS HAS TO STOP! The Fun Police and admins all need to calm down, the foums were working fine, and these new rules have only made it worse. BRING BACK THE OLD RULES! NO MORE PARENTING!

Im not raging on it anymore, i've said what is necessary.

TheSifodias wrote:Glad you're back ninja, you're my favorite Kommie.

SRL wrote:You're my fav Kommie too. :D

Komrade 9 Month Veteran

I got the Good Vs. Evil thread locked. Your welcome Evil.
iamninja28
Komrade Member

Location: I is in yo internetz. Hacking yo PC and eating tacos.

Re: Admins, stop being parents!

Postby Varun » Fri May 18, 2012 2:13 pm

While I can sympathise, maybe you should take this to here - http://ace-spades.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8086
Varun
{RS} Leader

Location: Burnie, Tasmania, Australia, where I will be in my bed from 0000 to 1300.

Postby TheGrandmaster » Fri May 18, 2012 2:49 pm

Perhaps you wouldn't get the end of the stick if you were to abide by the rules.
We just want to keep it clean here. We have no need to calm down, we're just doing the job we voluntarily agreed to do.
I would not say they were 'parenting', but from the sounds of it, some users here would really benefit from discipline by their parents/guardians.

An age limit is unrealistic. Firstly, it can be bypassed instantly. Secondly, there are users that are pretty young but do contribute and act in a (semi-)mature manner.

The new rule-set makes it so much easier for several reasons:
  • They're definitive, everything we don't want to see is mentioned on there.
  • They should already be embedded in your brains, but if not, the list is there for your reference.
  • It makes our lives easier - less arguments and overall less drama. It's no longer a 'badmin', it's an admin that is following the rules, so the ball is in the user's court to get clued up and contribute.
IGN: TheGrandmaster or <@tGM~wiki> | #AoS: IRC channel
<@mikuli> the bad part in this plan is that it involves an already busy tea-drinking scone chomper with a monocle
Latest AoS video: here
TheGrandmaster
Site Admin

Postby KomradeNinja » Fri May 18, 2012 4:32 pm

banning and warning players for saying things towards other players is stupid, These forums arent even forums anymore, ITS A GAME OF HOW FAST YOU CAN GET BANNED FOR BEING YOU >.<

Good Day sirs, these aren't even forums anymore, the end of normality is upon us.
KomradeNinja

Postby TheGrandmaster » Fri May 18, 2012 4:46 pm

If 'you' are abusive, then you will receive warnings.. it's fairly obvious.
Also, it seems you are multi-accounting and ban evading. Locking your new account - I don't want to see another.
<@mikuli> the bad part in this plan is that it involves an already busy tea-drinking scone chomper with a monocle
TheGrandmaster
Site Admin

Postby SLoW » Fri May 18, 2012 5:05 pm

TheGrandmaster wrote:Perhaps you wouldn't get the end of the stick if you were to abide by the rules.

This, right here.

You should know that I'm "handing out warnings like candy" because there's neary non-stop rule breaking. I've been instructed by the admins on the site to use the formal warning system to warn users for breaking the rules, and that's EXACTLY what I'm doing. You should also know that the admins (my bosses) review the moderator logs all the time, and know exactly what I'm warning for. I also tell them every time I ban a user, and exactly why I banned them. It's not like I'm some rogue moderator warning/banning on a whim. I warn/ban according to the rules, and I'm sure to cite the rules broken when I do so.

If you'd like to stop getting warned/banned, perhaps you should stop personally attacking our users and start playing by the rules.
SLoW
Global Moderator

Postby Danqazmlp » Fri May 18, 2012 7:34 pm

I find it quite funny as I have moderated a much larger forum than this, which had a rule set which was also much larger. Yet somehow the users were and still are fully able to abide by the rules.

Yes the rules will always be modified and refined as time goes on, but their core nature will not change from what it is now. As I said in the other thread, the rules are fairly similar to what they were before, except now they are written and moderators have the ability to use the set of rules to back up their warnings.

Unless you are 9, it isn't hard at all to stay within the rules.
Danqazmlp

Postby USABxSLAYER » Fri May 18, 2012 7:44 pm

My warnings are all from reviving month-old threads. While I feel semi-ashamed of having warnings it is definitely making me more conscious of the last post's date. There are some sections that I believe don't need the month limit but if those are the rules then they should be followed whether we agree or not.
^Best Game Ever^
USABxSLAYER
[USAB] Leader

Postby Gorman » Sat May 19, 2012 6:07 am

SLoW wrote:
TheGrandmaster wrote:Perhaps you wouldn't get the end of the stick if you were to abide by the rules.

This, right here.

You should know that I'm "handing out warnings like candy" because there's neary non-stop rule breaking. I've been instructed by the admins on the site to use the formal warning system to warn users for breaking the rules, and that's EXACTLY what I'm doing. You should also know that the admins (my bosses) review the moderator logs all the time, and know exactly what I'm warning for. I also tell them every time I ban a user, and exactly why I banned them. It's not like I'm some rogue moderator warning/banning on a whim. I warn/ban according to the rules, and I'm sure to cite the rules broken when I do so.

If you'd like to stop getting warned/banned, perhaps you should stop personally attacking our users and start playing by the rules.

That's exactly what I would expect the gorram fun police to say!

If there are no rules then people can't break rules! OP says new rules are stupid, you say you are just enforcing the rules correctly, obviously the rules are the one being criticized not you! Think about that Mr Fun Police!
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby TheSifodias » Sat May 19, 2012 6:34 am

True, there has been a great deal of complaints against the new rules. However the new ones are easy to understand and easy to follow. Its just all the direct little rules that people are having trouble with.

Here's what I think we should have:
- If a player gets warned, the mod should give a good explanation as to the reason for such warnings.
- A player has the right to complain about warnings so long as they don't spam the forum.
- If an issue still isn't resolved, the entire community will take a vote.
A leader, a sniper, a creator...
an admin, and a loyal clan member of USAB.

TheSifodias
[USAB] Member

Postby TheGrandmaster » Sat May 19, 2012 9:14 am

@TheSifodias:
With the exception of a few minor cases, saying 'rule 3b' or 'rule 3e' is descriptive enough.
The right to complain, yes. But hopefully our moderators may be trained as to act when necessary.
Entire community vote? That's over the top.

@Gorman:
Actually, he did mention SLoW quite specifically:
"The new rules and new "feelings" the admins have towards them is kinda getting on my nerves, SLoW just hands warning out like candy now" - I believe he was answering that point more than the 'needs new ones' point.
TheGrandmaster
Site Admin

Postby Gorman » Sat May 19, 2012 1:26 pm

TheGrandmaster wrote:@Gorman:
Actually, he did mention SLoW quite specifically:
"The new rules and new "feelings" the admins have towards them is kinda getting on my nerves, SLoW just hands warning out like candy now" - I believe he was answering that point more than the 'needs new ones' point.

Feels more like his argument is against the rules and he is just using SLoW as an example.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby ReubenMcHawk » Sat May 19, 2012 3:49 pm

Honestly I don't think that "necroing" a post should be against the rules if you have something relevant to say, past "bump".
ReubenMcHawk

Postby LASTofS » Mon May 28, 2012 1:01 am

Maybe you came from a different, more loose gaming community, but just get used to it. They have new rules, although it may seem strict to them, it makes you more aware of the way you post, what you say, and how you generally act 'round here.

It may be a little annoying, but just post less unless you have something to contribute.
ImageImageImage
Join the [LoS] (last of spades) clan here | my greatest contribution: Image icon on openGL client
LASTofS
News Reporter

Postby EldredChandler » Mon May 28, 2012 1:59 am

It doesn't seem hard to not break the rules because, as stated, it's really all common sense stuff. My opinion is people have such a problem with them because they are getting warned a lot. I could swear I've seen people get warned for the same thing 2+ a week, apparently not learning what not to do the first time.
[12:01] <+Kodiak> I'm a homosexual
EldredChandler
Bastion Warden

Next

Return to Forum