Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Tone down modding a little bit?

Got an idea for this forum? Discuss it here.

Tone down modding a little bit?

Postby Articsledder » Tue May 08, 2012 2:05 am

In the past week or 2 it seems like the moderating/adminning has really stepped a lot. However, in certain areas, it feels like a little too much.

I really enjoyed the sort of free, post whatever type forum this was, but I feel certain rules kind of unnecessarily go against this. These include:

The character limit: I can understand why this may be needed in some situations, however I don't see the issue with just a short reply to X subject. The +1 posts are a little strange, but they convey the general idea of the persons thoughts. I don't want to have to post well thought out sentences every time I want to say something, a lot of times a good old "Sounds great, or I would Support this, or +1 works fine. People can mostly distinguish between abusing short posts, and just having a casual conversation.

Suggestion section: The repeat suggestions are annoying, but there is a difference between repeating something a hundred times, and putting a different spin on the idea. Instead of barring all discussion on a topic, maybe give popular ideas, for example vehicles, there own sub-forum. Sometimes just a reply to a thread with a variation of an idea won't really be seen by anyone, and thus get no feedback.

Moving/closing threads: Not a very big issue, however it seems some threads are being moved/closed abruptly for no real reason while there is still discussion that could be going on/correctly placed thread. Anything that has AoS in the OP should probably be in the AoS section, and placed within it's proper forum area such as suggestions/media. Anything that doesn't involve AoS should go elsewhere. However recently it seems topics not exactly related to AoS but generally about the game/ things occurring in the game are being moved to the lounge.

Also, it seems a certain moderator who won't be named has recently been moderating stuff just for the sake of moderating it. IMO there should be a real good reason to edit someones post/close and move a thread.

So yeah, just some opinions on how the moderating here could improve a bit.
aend tehn teh cahirs began to snip
Articsledder

Re: Tone down modding a little bit?

Postby Kodiak » Tue May 08, 2012 7:36 am

I agree whole-heartedly with the character limit being silly and I have an inkling as to who that moderator is. If something is fine, IMO there's no need to fix it up for a very minor error simply for something to do.

That said, I do like that the rules are direct and far less vague than the old "don't be a dick" ( I can't remember exactly what it was) and they seem much more effective.
^Click the eyes for the IRC^
Image - Image - Image
Kodiak
[SPQR] Member

Postby TheGrandmaster » Tue May 08, 2012 7:45 am

All of our reasons for doing things: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1
We're as new to the rule-set as you are - I generally put exactly what rule it breaks, or if moving/closing stuff, reasoning for why I am doing something either in the thread or in warnings that I give out. I'll bring this up with the moderators to display more information/rule #'s.

About the character limit.. it is only 10 chars. How long is 10 chars?
  • "This is ten"
  • "Characters"
It is a tiny amount. If people can't manipulate the English language to make their sentence just that miniscule amount longer, I am not all too hopeful for the posts they produce..
It cuts out people just posting tiny/unneeded/unuseful posts, gives us a base to warn for it and really doesn't get in the way, given the example and reasoning above.

As for the suggestions forum idea, I'm not too surprised some new threads get cut down - we see so many repeats it's insane. I'll again raise the point with the staff about how we can arrange the forum better, a bunch of stickies for 'vehicles' and 'sidearms' (for instance), then moving their post onto the end of the sticky is another idea. But anyway, that I'll start a discussion on.

Hope this answers/is useful.
IGN: TheGrandmaster or <@tGM~wiki> | #AoS: IRC channel
<@mikuli> the bad part in this plan is that it involves an already busy tea-drinking scone chomper with a monocle
Latest AoS video: here
TheGrandmaster
Site Admin

Postby Articsledder » Tue May 08, 2012 7:47 pm

TheGrandmaster wrote:All of our reasons for doing things: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1
We're as new to the rule-set as you are - I generally put exactly what rule it breaks, or if moving/closing stuff, reasoning for why I am doing something either in the thread or in warnings that I give out. I'll bring this up with the moderators to display more information/rule #'s.

About the character limit.. it is only 10 chars. How long is 10 chars?
  • "This is ten"
  • "Characters"
It is a tiny amount. If people can't manipulate the English language to make their sentence just that miniscule amount longer, I am not all too hopeful for the posts they produce..
It cuts out people just posting tiny/unneeded/unuseful posts, gives us a base to warn for it and really doesn't get in the way, given the example and reasoning above.

As for the suggestions forum idea, I'm not too surprised some new threads get cut down - we see so many repeats it's insane. I'll again raise the point with the staff about how we can arrange the forum better, a bunch of stickies for 'vehicles' and 'sidearms' (for instance), then moving their post onto the end of the sticky is another idea. But anyway, that I'll start a discussion on.

Hope this answers/is useful.

Thanks for the reply, that answers some questions, also great to know the suggestion section idea is being taken into account.
aend tehn teh cahirs began to snip
Articsledder

Postby ThisFrickinSite » Thu May 10, 2012 1:09 am

I completely agree! I dont really want to express my feelings on the topic because i will proabably get banned but i will say i cant stand these mass warnings making me terrified to post. Well there arent many, but i have seen at least 5.
ThisFrickinSite
{RS} Member

Postby topologist » Thu May 10, 2012 8:16 am

ThisFrickinSite wrote:I completely agree! I dont really want to express my feelings on the topic because i will proabably get banned but i will say i cant stand these mass warnings making me terrified to post. Well there arent many, but i have seen at least 5.

If you actually have something worthwhile to post you shouldn't be afraid at all -- that goes both for posting your opinion on this topic (why would you be banned for posting your opinion? just make sure it's worded politely) and for posting in general. "Mass warnings" are an effective way of getting a point across.

The easiest thing to do: make good posts. You won't be punished for good posts.
REDACTED
topologist
[SPQR] Member

Postby TheGrandmaster » Thu May 10, 2012 8:49 am

@ThisFrickinSite:
The rules are written quite plainly. If a post doesn't break 'em, post it. Anything that's constructive, even opinionated is fine. We just hand out warnings when something is over the top.
As for your signature, someone complained the other day about its content and suggested an alteration that was agreed upon. Please don't try and replace the nasty message (though feel free to put a different one than that which we have put in).
IGN: TheGrandmaster or <@tGM~wiki> | #AoS: IRC channel
<@mikuli> the bad part in this plan is that it involves an already busy tea-drinking scone chomper with a monocle
Latest AoS video: here
TheGrandmaster
Site Admin

Postby Gorman » Sun May 13, 2012 2:05 pm

I think there are too many rules. You don't need 40 rules, maybe 10 at max is fine.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby Danqazmlp » Mon May 14, 2012 12:26 pm

Gorman wrote:I think there are too many rules. You don't need 40 rules, maybe 10 at max is fine.

I can't see them harming the forum at all. It makes the positions of the staff much easier when it comes to banning/warning too. Overall they are a good addition to the forums, and make things much easier for users too.
Danqazmlp

Postby Varun » Fri May 18, 2012 12:55 pm

And if you use your common sense, you don't have a problem. Just think "What would <insert admin/moderator name here> do/say?" Would he say a bunch of expletives (Profanity [Swear words]) or would he be excellent?

The ten character limit gets me down sometimes too, but on the whole I think it leads to a slightly smarter community. People are forced to think before they post.

When I started this game, I used a lot of slang. I don't anymore because people respect intelligent responses and I found that using proper grammar online translated to proper grammar in real life.

I.E. Using slang/ one word answers etc dumbed me down. Using proper grammar here made me use better grammar in ordinary life.
Varun
{RS} Leader

Location: Burnie, Tasmania, Australia, where I will be in my bed from 0000 to 1300.

Postby Gorman » Fri May 18, 2012 1:04 pm

Danqazmlp wrote:
Gorman wrote:I think there are too many rules. You don't need 40 rules, maybe 10 at max is fine.

I can't see them harming the forum at all. It makes the positions of the staff much easier when it comes to banning/warning too. Overall they are a good addition to the forums, and make things much easier for users too.

In that case 10,000 rules would be best, right?
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby Varun » Fri May 18, 2012 1:08 pm

Hmmmmm, yeah that's a good idea. ;)

I have personally read the new rules only once, and I've had my fair share of warnings in the past, mainly for innocent mistakes. So I basically know what not to do, because I have been warned for basically every mistake that warrants a warning. I know that I read fast, really fast, but I don't think that much of your life will be wasted if you read a few rules.
Varun
{RS} Leader

Location: Burnie, Tasmania, Australia, where I will be in my bed from 0000 to 1300.

Postby Danqazmlp » Fri May 18, 2012 7:30 pm

Gorman wrote:
Danqazmlp wrote:

In that case 10,000 rules would be best, right?

Way to help your argument by going overboard.

The rules basically give moderators a solid position to warn people from. The rules haven't really changed at all, as most of the things on them would have led to warnings beforehand.
Danqazmlp

Postby Kodiak » Sat May 19, 2012 12:43 am

Your message contains 3 characters. The minimum number of characters you need to enter is 10.

People can and do use the tactic above to get around the word limit, therefore making it redundant. Silly rule, imo.
^Click the eyes for the IRC^
Image - Image - Image
Kodiak
[SPQR] Member

Postby Paratrooper » Sat May 19, 2012 12:47 am

Disable the 10-character limits in Off-topic, please.
To a Physicist, white and black is the presence and absence of color.
To a Fine Artist, white and black are just shades and tints of color.
To a Painter, any paint that you could get into a can is a color.
THIS color, on the other hand, is #b4d455.
Paratrooper
Local Mod

Next

Return to Forum