Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Tone down modding a little bit?

Got an idea for this forum? Discuss it here.

Re: Tone down modding a little bit?

Postby Gorman » Sat May 19, 2012 6:03 am

Danqazmlp wrote:
Gorman wrote:
Danqazmlp wrote:I can't see them harming the forum at all. It makes the positions of the staff much easier when it comes to banning/warning too. Overall they are a good addition to the forums, and make things much easier for users too.

In that case 10,000 rules would be best, right?

Way to help your argument by going overboard.

The rules basically give moderators a solid position to warn people from. The rules haven't really changed at all, as most of the things on them would have led to warnings beforehand.

Well actually I have a real example to prove my point:

Gorman wrote:
Enari wrote:The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=10&p=103147#p103147 . Rule 3d.

How the hell is that an attack against an individual?

It is clearly reductio ad absurdum, which is an attack against the logical basis of the idea not the person.................

Gorman wrote:
Enari wrote:"though do not take debate further than it needs to go "

Huh I don't get it. What are you trying to say?

How can that possibly apply to this situation? O_O

Enari wrote:Well, the warning have been issued. if you want to take this any further please contact an forum administrator.

Moderator thinks that because we have so many rules that it is fine to just quote the rule and not offer or even allow any further explanation and then tells me to go talk to an admin just to find out what the hell I am being warned for!

If the rules were "don't be a dick" then the moderator would say "well you are being a dick because 10,000 is a ridiculous number" then I could at least understand why a moderator is warning me.

What the hell is the point of a warning if people can't understand why they were warned!

Besides that more rules doesn't mean more clarity, just like more words does not make something simpler.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby TheGrandmaster » Sat May 19, 2012 9:18 am

You followed his instructions and came to me, who answered your point.
I will talk to Enari about the specific situation, but I can see why he warned for it. Rule 3d or perhaps 3e would've been more appropriate.
And I shall consider adding 'don't be a dick' to the rules.
IGN: TheGrandmaster or <@tGM~wiki> | #AoS: IRC channel
<@mikuli> the bad part in this plan is that it involves an already busy tea-drinking scone chomper with a monocle
Latest AoS video: here
TheGrandmaster
Site Admin

Postby Danqazmlp » Sat May 19, 2012 11:57 am

What I've found best in the past is that when a moderator wars somebody, they should do the following:

Quote the rule number.
Add a small description of the rule (and maybe why it is there)
Explain how the user broke the rule.

And it always seems best to add at the end 'If you have any questions, feel free to ask'.
Danqazmlp

Postby Gorman » Sat May 19, 2012 1:16 pm

TheGrandmaster wrote:You followed his instructions and came to me, who answered your point.

Yeah but I shouldn't really have to go and find an admin because a mod doesn't know why he is warning me. It makes zero sense.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby TheGrandmaster » Sat May 19, 2012 1:44 pm

@Gorman:
Please read the rest of my message before passing judgement.
<@mikuli> the bad part in this plan is that it involves an already busy tea-drinking scone chomper with a monocle
TheGrandmaster
Site Admin

Postby Gorman » Sun May 20, 2012 5:32 am

I did, but you did not address the issue that I just pointed out; unless your vague statement of "I will talk to him" was about that (if it was, then I don't see why you wouldn't just say so)...
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby TheGrandmaster » Sun May 20, 2012 8:21 am

I've told all staff to try and state how the rule was broken as well as stating which rule it was, unless blindingly obvious.
Hopefully this'll prevent further confusion.
TheGrandmaster
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Forum