Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

Two bbcodes wanted: [SPOILER] and [YOUTUBE]

Got an idea for this forum? Discuss it here.

Two bbcodes wanted: [SPOILER] and [YOUTUBE]

Postby Mio » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:02 pm

We all knows how to use these two bbcodes quite often.

Spoiler, for hiding things.

And youtube, for embemding YT videos.

Both seems useful huh, besides the basic bbcodes.
'On Jan 24th', Congress will vote to pass internet censorship in the Senate, even though the vast majority of Americans are opposed. We need to kill the bill - PIPA and SOPA - to protect our rights to free speech, privacy, and prosperity.
Mio

Re: Two bbcodes wanted: [SPOILER] and [YOUTUBE]

Postby mikuli » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:09 pm

99% of the usage for the spoiler tag would be useless [SPOILER]DIS IS SPOLAR HERP A DERP[/SPOILER] crap, and while that's fun and all, it's not really a neccessity for daily forum-postings.

Same goes with youtube-embedding, a simple link to a youtube video should suffice.
Blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne
Join me in Tribes: Ascend! IGN: Mikuli
mikuli
Retired Staff Member

Postby Fluttershy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:40 am

spoilers would be nice for larger images though without having to click a link to get there
Fluttershy

Postby PinkyConehead » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:33 am

^^
Agreed, we need more useless cool stuff like bold letters and colors!
Pwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Pwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
DOUBLE RAINBOW!
PinkyConehead

Postby Mio » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:30 am

Fluttershy wrote:spoilers would be nice for larger images though without having to click a link to get there

Agree.
And for ppl who don't want to look at anything spoiling.
'On Jan 24th', Congress will vote to pass internet censorship in the Senate, even though the vast majority of Americans are opposed. We need to kill the bill - PIPA and SOPA - to protect our rights to free speech, privacy, and prosperity.
Mio

Postby PXYC » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:04 am

This isn't a bookclub. We don't really have any spoilers that might ruin a surprise, other than 'BEN IS ACTUALLY WORKING ON THE UPDATE OMGWTFBBQ ALERT THE MEDIA".

<+laserlamp> lil b is my fav
PXYC
Local Mod

Postby Gorman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:20 am

Spoilers are mainly used for formatting - for example making large screen-shots not break threads. They are very useful.

Youtube embedding is very useful too. Having to click links all the time in a video heavy thread is a real pain.

On a sidenote this thread illustrates that colour code is neither necessary nor is it not annoying.
Gorman
[LDR] Member

Postby Mio » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:17 am

Admit this.
You say you don't want to implemented, but you still use it when someforum you joined have this.
Mio

Postby Fluttershy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:28 pm

PXYC wrote:This isn't a bookclub. We don't really have any spoilers that might ruin a surprise, other than 'BEN IS ACTUALLY WORKING ON THE UPDATE OMGWTFBBQ ALERT THE MEDIA".

So youre saying, that in the years to come, that there will NEVER come a time where spoilers could be used once, not in the off topic section, not to hide pictures, none of that? holy shit man how did you get your amazing foresight, because I want it.
Fluttershy

Postby mikuli » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:47 pm

The fact that they would be used once a month for a proper reason, and 9,999 times out of 10,000 for utterly useless jokes and crap does not really make it worth it for us to get off our lazy butts and actually add it. Not saying it wont happen, it's just rather unlikely.

EDIT: There is actually a point about the large images, I do admit it. Going to have to discuss this throughly with the staff, and see what kind of a consensus we can reach.

Also, Fluttershy, descending into personal attacks over a disagreeing opinion is not very nice.
mikuli
Retired Staff Member

Postby Fluttershy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:29 pm

Thats considered a personal attack now? anyways heres an example of where spoilering could come in handy.
Fluttershy

Postby mikuli » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:44 pm

The large images would still be shown in the same way once the spoiler was opened. People should understand to either resize the image, or link it off-site if it's so big.
mikuli
Retired Staff Member

Postby Fluttershy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:03 pm

Thats not entirely why i wanted spoilers, the main reason was to simply make it so threads with a large amount of images wouldnt be insanely large. Itd also help with organization and whatnot. for example, a thread for a persons mod collection could put a different spoiler for each gun/player skin/etc containing pictures, download links, etc etc meaning a person could very quickly find something without having to sift through a post larger than most threads, and while alt+f makes it manageable now, its still fairly ugly and somewhat confusing looking at something with a ton of pictures surrounding it.
Fluttershy

Postby Coffee » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:50 pm

+1
Coffee

Postby TheGrandmaster » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:31 pm

@Fluttershy:
I know colours are available, but..

In terms of the two bbcodes, spoiler could become as much as a trolling tool as it is useful. I can see that side as well as the useful side.
Youtube can be linked, I don't see why there needs to be an inbuilt tag for this.
IGN: TheGrandmaster or <@tGM~wiki> | #AoS: IRC channel
<@mikuli> the bad part in this plan is that it involves an already busy tea-drinking scone chomper with a monocle
Latest AoS video: here
TheGrandmaster
Site Admin

Next

Return to Forum