Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to register or post. - StackOverflow
New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/

A like button for the Forums?

Got an idea for this forum? Discuss it here.

A like button for the Forums?

Postby LASTofS » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:44 pm

I see a lot of fellow deuces being warned for simply quoting previous posts (without saying anything) or just something simple like "+1". I'm sure many would appreciate like button, or a +1 button, it's one of those small features that make the forums an even better place.

NOT the Facebook like button where you have to log-in with your FB account though. That's not what I mean.

I guess I could help further this suggestion by finding a decent "like" button for us? I'd like to see some comments, feedback on this. Go!
ImageImageImage
Join the [LoS] (last of spades) clan here | my greatest contribution: Image icon on openGL client
LASTofS
News Reporter

Re: A like button for the Forums?

Postby Priok » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:26 pm

I agree, it would be cool

on a small forum I go on we use: http://i.imgur.com/EDhBa.gif and http://i.imgur.com/slh2w.gif for -1 and +1, maybe just a simple thing with +1 would be good
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=3112 - my mods
Ace of Spades leader board rank: 1
Priok

Look at my new fourm.

Postby mcmoo56 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:29 pm

Heres the following link for the game to be better viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10230

[WARNED] Off-Topic. -Booyo
mcmoo56

Postby razor10000 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:11 am

+1

Okay, we really need this!
IGN: Razor
"I don't make dead people, I make home-made tomato sauce that dead people can't bother to lick off their face."- Razor
Click this for free shit!
razor10000

Postby LASTofS » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:15 am

razor10000 wrote:+1

Haha, see? It would've been useful for something small like that as well.
ImageImageImage
Join the [LoS] (last of spades) clan here | my greatest contribution: Image icon on openGL client
LASTofS
News Reporter

Postby xEric » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:49 am

+1
Back
xEric

Postby Leonzable » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:02 pm

I was just about to suggest this when I saw the thread already been made
+1 obviously
User was warned for this post
Leonzable

Postby mikuli » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:44 pm

This suggestion sound like people could have fun with it. Are you a fun-enabler? ARE YOU?

It's a dangerous thing to be just handed out without proper supervision.

Seriously though, is this something we absolutely cannot survive without? If so, why?
Blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne
Join me in Tribes: Ascend! IGN: Mikuli
mikuli
Retired Staff Member

Postby MrHaaaaaaxFF » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:34 am

-1 because this is why internet is full of trolls.
Here's a touchin' story for ya: Once upon a time, you died and i live forever happily ever after. The end. Now go to hell.
MrHaaaaaaxFF
[FF] Leader

Location: Tellin' a touchin' story, description, AoS forums. Also, Vietnam.

Postby LASTofS » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:50 pm

mikuli wrote:This suggestion sound like people could have fun with it. Are you a fun-enabler? ARE YOU?

It's a dangerous thing to be just handed out without proper supervision.

Seriously though, is this something we absolutely cannot survive without? If so, why?

I've seen this button on several other forums and think it would be a great addition to the AoS forums. Does not only have to be used for fun purposes, there are times where I find I want to show my appreciation to the thread and the OP for their reply and that I agree with them, but I don't really have anything to add to the discussion myself and the like feature would be useful in this instance.

In the Help section, people could like certain replies if the solution worked for them, or if it was an accurate source of information. Another example would be the suggestion board, but we have polls for a reason. I think it would be useful for AoS discussion since normal users are unable to start polls on that board. Anyways, you know all those people you warn for simply quoting a previous post? Those people would use the like button if we had one.

In case anybody was pondering about the "dangerous downsides", there aren't any. There isn't an unlike button so there won't be any concern for dislike abuse.

We have already been living without this feature, mikuli, for at least a year now, and I think we will continue to. This is just an idea to improve our forums.

MrHaaaaaaxFF wrote:-1 because this is why internet is full of trolls.

Yes, the like button is the reason why the Internet is full of trolls (like you)! Somebody give him an award! Now, do me a favour and shut up.
ImageImageImage
LASTofS
News Reporter

Postby HermanCain » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:25 pm

I'm in favour of this so long as a persons accumulated likes are not shown.
HermanCain

Postby lolpwned23 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:01 pm

Would there also be a thumbs down button?

+1
(V)(;,,;)(V) whoopwhoopwhoopwhoopwhoop
lolpwned23

Postby CraftDinur » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:40 pm

I think only a like button is necessary. A dislike button however would be mainly for troll use.
IGN: CraftDinur, Mr. Yoshimori, 49th Parallel
CraftDinur

Postby SICKfudge » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:21 pm

+1

T'would be greatly apreciated
IGN: SICKfudge
My avatar is Mr. Squirrel Mc Squirrelton [RIP]
ADVERTISMENT:
SICKfudge

Postby Varun » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:30 pm

Well, i read somewhere that people recieve the same sort of emotion and feel when they get a like as when the have sex. So, it obviously makes people satisfied, in a perverse way. What i worry about is that some people will recieve likes, and others will want likes, but not get them, and feel inferior. I know that likes are based on what people say, usually, but if two people say the same thing, and one gets more likes, an average idiot who doesnt understand the circumstances would feel sad/left out/inferior.

Also, i also read somewhere that people get addicted to likes, and do a lot to get them. Then they spend a lot of time, more time than could be healthy. It could also lead to people making others feel bad to get a like, or acting poorly or rowdy to get a like.

So, I lean towards -1, but really I'm more of a +/-1 person on this. I'm just voicing concerns i have for the detrimental effects. I think likes are ok, and show a person that their comment was found amusing or worth noting, and I realise that it would save warnings and prevent topic cluttering, but I'm still a bit skeptical.
Varun
{RS} Leader

Location: Burnie, Tasmania, Australia, where I will be in my bed from 0000 to 1300.

Next

Return to Forum